Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Show us your cakes and win a signed copy of Delia's new book

(165 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 14:32:14

As part of Food Feb - a month-long celebration of food on Mumsnet - we want you to show us the cakes you've made and decorated for your family. It could be a first birthday special, or a wedding cake for your sibling - whatever it is, we'd like to see it.

The three best cakes submitted will each win a copy of Delia Smith's new book, Delia's Cakes. Even better, we'll have the cooking goddess herself coming in for a webchat on 28 February, when she'll announce the three winners and personally sign a copy of her new book for them.

What we'd really love is that when you post your picture you include any tips on how you made it and give specifics on decorating styles, tools or tricks that you used, so that others can emulate your cake-decorating prowess.

To enter, simply upload your image as a post on this thread, using the image upload tool. See our image-uploading tips in the topic note above.

We'll shortly be showcasing this comp on our Facebook page too. (We'll post up the link when it's live.) Winners will be chosen from all the cake pics uploaded to this Talk thread and to Facebook.

The competition closes on 20 February, at which point we'll convene an MNHQ panel to judge the entries and decide on three winners. For additional terms and conditions go to our T&Cs page

If you're one of them, we'll contact you on Wednesday 27 February to ask whether you'd like Delia to inscribe the book with your Mumsnet or RL name.

Theicingontop Fri 01-Feb-13 10:57:45

This was a tangled themed cake I did for a friend's daughter's birthday smile

The tower was made of cardboard tubes from big rolls of stickers I had lying around the house, and the inners of kitchen rolls, covered in fondant. Only the bottom bit is cake!!

This was something I whipped up for my husband's 30th... It was made of one chocolate sponge and one vanilla sponge (which had been coloured then marbled). I cut each cake in half, and piled then up alternately. I sandwiched the sponges together with some raspberry mousse (raspberry Angel Delight, cream and raspberry jelly to make it firm enough) and a layer of raspberry jam and chocolate ganache. The whole cake was then plastered smothered in more ganache (that was spreading consistency, not runny) and decorated with a mixture of fondant and buttercream icing. I melted some white and milk chocolate and broke it into small pieces for the sides, and used some Muppets cake toppers. The damned thing near killed me, but we were all very pleased with the overall look and taste! I'm very proud smile

Side view (I'm not sure I explained it very well!)

wem Fri 01-Feb-13 17:39:24

I made this for my nephew's birthday. I started with a ring shaped cake and carved the general shape for the body. The tail and the last section of neck and head are moulded fondant with tylose powder to harden it up. The wings are a flat pastillage shape with sausages of fondant to make the raised lines then covered in the same fondant as the cake. The horns and spikes are painted pastillage.

I made the marble effect on the board by making lots of little balls of fondant with specks of colour, squishing them next to each other in a rough circle shape, then rolling it out as normal.

hackneyzoo Fri 01-Feb-13 18:04:04

I made this for my sister's wedding. It was in the autumn so we decided to decorate it using seasonal edible flowers. The ribbons coming out of it each had a charm attached for each of the bridesmaids.
It was made using a chocolate mud cake recipes and decorated by trickling ganache from the top downwards.

hackneyzoo Fri 01-Feb-13 18:06:44

This is an aerial view!

MikeLitoris Fri 01-Feb-13 18:07:19

I'll post one soon but can I just point out the OP says you will be contacted on 27th January grin

Now, which cake do I post? confused

CMOTDibbler Fri 01-Feb-13 18:14:45

Everyone elses cakes will be much better than mine, but these are some of the cake pops which I made for DHs brother and sils silver wedding anniversary. They are all gluten free sponge, made in the Lakeland cake pop maker, in vanilla, lemon, strawberry and chocolate. With lots of sprinkles grin.

Having originally offered to make them a cake for the party, I did think I was nuts when I said OK to sils subsequent request for cupcakes, and had to turn out 150 of the blighters.

barleysugar Fri 01-Feb-13 18:25:33

This was for my dds 4th birthday, it's a choc sponge, covered with fondant. The owls are chocolate modelling paste and the flowers and leaves are made from fondant mixed with CMC powder to stiffen it. I made the big owl and my dd copied me to make the baby one!

MikeLitoris Fri 01-Feb-13 18:46:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MikeLitoris Fri 01-Feb-13 18:51:24

Just finished this this evening for DD1s 4th Birthday tomorrow!

Its a plain sponge with buttercream and jam in the middle. I crumb coated it before covering in fondant. The fondant was coloured with paste colourings. I piped green coloured buttercream around the bottom to hide the seam, and stuck on different coloured fondant stars with edible glue.

greenapples Fri 01-Feb-13 22:25:26

I made this for my sons 3rd birthday. It is a plain madeira, cooked in a pyrex bowl. I cut off the bottom (widest part of the sponge) and carved out the cave and used those pieces to make the dragon.
Buttercream, fondant icing, golden (chocolate) eggs and lots of sparkle finished it off.

Dumpyandabdabs Fri 01-Feb-13 22:51:58

Dumpyandabdabs Fri 01-Feb-13 22:52:52

MammaTJ Sat 02-Feb-13 07:30:22

I made this cake for my friends birthday. Everything on the board is edible and the handbag is the cake.

MikeLitoris Sat 02-Feb-13 07:32:39

These cakes are fab.

They really are, aren't they? It's amazing the lengths we will go to to make the ones we love happy! smile I made 3 George Pig cakes for DS' 1st birthday (we live in a small bungalow and I had to do 3 small parties as there isn't enough room!) This year it will be a Mr Dinosaur cake and a party at the local Scout hall! smile

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 02-Feb-13 11:00:49

MikeLitoris

I'll post one soon but can I just point out the OP says you will be contacted on 27th January grin

Now, which cake do I post? confused

Doh! All the cakey excitement had gone to our heads! Thanks Mike, we've changed it now!

bebejones Sat 02-Feb-13 11:39:52

I made this for my Grandma's 80th Birthday! She was totally thrilled which made all the hard work and many many many hours worthwhile!

Moosy Sat 02-Feb-13 14:29:35

I've just entered this on the FB page but none of the entries are showing, so just in case it hasn't worked I'll add it here too. I made this styracosaurus for my daughter's 5th birthday, she'd also requested that it had her favourite toys (a jellycat aardvark called Hool and a jellycat cat called Now) riding on its back!

Moosy Sat 02-Feb-13 14:31:34

Another view to show its details

MikeLitoris Sat 02-Feb-13 14:54:38

Thats amazing Moosy.

wem Sat 02-Feb-13 15:05:01

That's brilliant Moosy, and I've just had a nosey on your profile and your other cakes are fab too.

Ooooh, I think I'm going to like this thread grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now