Show us your cakes and win a signed copy of Delia's new book

(165 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 14:32:14

As part of Food Feb - a month-long celebration of food on Mumsnet - we want you to show us the cakes you've made and decorated for your family. It could be a first birthday special, or a wedding cake for your sibling - whatever it is, we'd like to see it.

The three best cakes submitted will each win a copy of Delia Smith's new book, Delia's Cakes. Even better, we'll have the cooking goddess herself coming in for a webchat on 28 February, when she'll announce the three winners and personally sign a copy of her new book for them.

What we'd really love is that when you post your picture you include any tips on how you made it and give specifics on decorating styles, tools or tricks that you used, so that others can emulate your cake-decorating prowess.

To enter, simply upload your image as a post on this thread, using the image upload tool. See our image-uploading tips in the topic note above.

We'll shortly be showcasing this comp on our Facebook page too. (We'll post up the link when it's live.) Winners will be chosen from all the cake pics uploaded to this Talk thread and to Facebook.

The competition closes on 20 February, at which point we'll convene an MNHQ panel to judge the entries and decide on three winners. For additional terms and conditions go to our T&Cs page

If you're one of them, we'll contact you on Wednesday 27 February to ask whether you'd like Delia to inscribe the book with your Mumsnet or RL name.

Dozer Thu 28-Feb-13 22:25:23

These are all amazing! So many amazing cakes. Congratulations to the winners, but the cakes on this thread are all lovely. Think there should be an ongoing cake thread!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Feb-13 14:08:08

Want to know who the winners are? Delia's just announced it over on her webchat thread.

Prisci Wed 27-Feb-13 14:10:04

For a friend 32nd Birthday! Oh la la ...:-)

elizabethaaliyah Wed 27-Feb-13 13:09:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 10:01:14

The MNHQ jury has ruminated, not to mention cogitated and has finally agreed on our three cake decorating winners. We'll be PM-ing them all today in advance of Delia making the official announcement when she's in for her webchat tomorrow lunchtime.

I have to say the standard was unbelievably high. We're all quite staggered by your brilliance and inventiveness. What lucky families you all have!

wem Tue 26-Feb-13 17:13:44

<all casual like> cough any news? cough

grin

desidesosa Tue 26-Feb-13 11:06:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I cannot believe how good these cakes are. How on earth MNHQ are going to choose winners is a bit beyond me.
You're a talented bunch.

rockinhippy Mon 25-Feb-13 11:39:07

Oh drat, I meant to update with the making tips that I forgot to put with my original pictures, but completely forgot until this morning sad

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Feb-13 09:11:39

Hi - the competition is now closed and we'll be posting up details of the three winners tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who entered - we're slightly staggered at how brilliant all these cakes are!

Miami7 Sun 24-Feb-13 16:42:59

A swimming pool cake with blue jelly water for our 5 year olds pool party

dikkertjedap Sun 24-Feb-13 15:08:30

I mean the Moshi Monsters cake - brilliant!

dikkertjedap Sun 24-Feb-13 15:05:06

I like all the cakes, here, especially the Asparagus cake and the cake which had those beautiful clearly defined rainbow layers when cut.

sapphirestar Fri 22-Feb-13 21:15:10

I know I'm too late but would like to share anyway! Some of these are amazing!!
This was for my daughter's 4th birthday. The body of the cake is chocolate marble cake, and the towers are swiss rolls. All painstakingly covered in fondant icing, the turrets are ice cream cones covered in pink buttercream, and the flowers are cut out from sugar paste and dusted with edible glitter,
It took hours but the look on dd's face was totally worth it!

cocolepew Thu 21-Feb-13 20:24:31

These are all amazing, you're all so talented!

EssKay Thu 21-Feb-13 20:07:50

Oh dear am I too late? Just in case I'm allowed to sneak my entry in, here it is. It was for my sons 3rd birthday last week, made from a chocolate Madeira cake baked in a 12" square tin. I cut it in half, stacked the 2 halves, carved the angled window and made the back half shorter than the cab, and and then split each layer horizontally. Then I froze all the bits before covering with chocolate buttercream and coloured sugarpaste. It took about 10 long long hours, but my sons face when he saw it made it all worthwhile!

The cakes on this thread are amazing!

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 21-Feb-13 10:02:15

Alright, I can't resist joining in!

I made this racing car for DS's 5th birthday. The tyres were chocolate-covered mini doughnuts and the driver was a lindor chocolate. The car was covered in buttercream and smoothed with a palette knife dipped in hot water.

I did do the biscuits too! They took forever.

It was the first time I'd used royal icing as flood icing but will definitely do them again. I used a snowflake cutter which I bent out of shape to make the Pow shape, then did the background and let it dry. The following day I did the writing. The time consuming bit was using a toothpick to make sure it got into all the corners.

The cake was filled and covered with buttercream & covered in fondant.

baheewheeler Wed 20-Feb-13 22:40:52

here's a cake I made for my younger daughter's 5th birthday - Charlie the Clown came to the party...It's two stacked pudding-bowl cakes, with a cupcake head (all roughly carved to the right shape!) His trousers are chocolate, made by covering an upturned bowl in foil then covering with melted chocolate and peeling off the foil once hardened. It was one of those jobs where halfway through I regretted having started - up until 2am! - but daughter was delighted with it....

Chellie3 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:32:32

My son, Bertie celebrated his first birthday on Valentines Day. His favourite passtime to date is swimming hence the swimming pool cake. I made the sugarpaste icing from scratch, not a task I would rush to do again and filled the middle of the cake with blue jelly for the water. The cake itself is madeira and i have used a pink wafer for the diving board and made the steps out of long lighting sticks. The characters in the water are jelly babies and the rubber rings are haribo. I thoroughly enjoyed making this cake and hope that Bertie will enjoy looking at the pictures in years to come.

Tailtwister Tue 19-Feb-13 08:03:17

Well, I think it's fantastic newpencilcase! In fact, it's inspired me to consider a superhero cake for DS2's next birthday. Did you do the cookies too?

This was for DS2's 4th birthday. He didn't like it. He said he'd asked for a bat cave, not Gotham city.

Ungrateful urchin!

It's Nigella's buttermilk birthday cake underneath, with everything cut out of fondant icing. The buildings go all the way around - even the teeny tiny lights!

The biscuits were decorated in layers with royal icing, and handed out in the party bags. I did red ones and green ones. They have enough sugar and colouring in them to keep the kids up for weeks!

Really enjoying this thread, especially the advice and pictures smile

I wont really enter as the finish on my cakes is that of 'mother oprganising party' rather than of cake maker but I was very proud of this for my DD's 4th. She asked for a fairy castle.

The main castle is 3 square tins of chocolate chip plain songe (dd's favourite), then the base of turrents are upturned cupcakes. The towers are upside down ice cream cones coated in choco,ate and covered in pink glitter. They looked a little less scruffy in real life. before it was photo ed there were pink flag butterfly candles coming out the tops too.

Me and DD ate the drawbridge a few days later....

XBenedict Sun 17-Feb-13 21:19:00

Made for my daughter last week using a chocolate marble cake.

Close up of the Beatrice fairy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now