Show us your cakes and win a signed copy of Delia's new book

(165 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 14:32:14

As part of Food Feb - a month-long celebration of food on Mumsnet - we want you to show us the cakes you've made and decorated for your family. It could be a first birthday special, or a wedding cake for your sibling - whatever it is, we'd like to see it.

The three best cakes submitted will each win a copy of Delia Smith's new book, Delia's Cakes. Even better, we'll have the cooking goddess herself coming in for a webchat on 28 February, when she'll announce the three winners and personally sign a copy of her new book for them.

What we'd really love is that when you post your picture you include any tips on how you made it and give specifics on decorating styles, tools or tricks that you used, so that others can emulate your cake-decorating prowess.

To enter, simply upload your image as a post on this thread, using the image upload tool. See our image-uploading tips in the topic note above.

We'll shortly be showcasing this comp on our Facebook page too. (We'll post up the link when it's live.) Winners will be chosen from all the cake pics uploaded to this Talk thread and to Facebook.

The competition closes on 20 February, at which point we'll convene an MNHQ panel to judge the entries and decide on three winners. For additional terms and conditions go to our T&Cs page

If you're one of them, we'll contact you on Wednesday 27 February to ask whether you'd like Delia to inscribe the book with your Mumsnet or RL name.

jesmeen Wed 13-Feb-13 21:09:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MaureenMLove Wed 13-Feb-13 21:19:40

Well, I've checked through and it doesn't look like StealthSquiggle has posted her R2D2 cake, so I'll nip in quick with mine!

This cake was for my brothers 40th birthday and it nearly killed me! My only tip is - don't do it, unless you want to have nightmares for a week! grin He fell over twice and he was rebuilt more times than when he was injured in the Jedi wars!! grin

His main body was made with two pudding basins, with a round sponge cake in the middle. The base is a cheat! It's polystyrene, covered with icing! It was the only thing to hold him up, because he was so heavy. The silver top, is edible silver paint.

stealthsquiggle Thu 14-Feb-13 08:24:42

grin You're safe, Mo - R2D2 was for a friend of DS's, so he doesn't qualify, but I share your remembered trauma and don't say I didn't warn you at the time

shumway Thu 14-Feb-13 11:14:17

Beehive cake. Made from Martha Kearney's Comic Relief Bake-off recipe. For 7 year old's birthday. The bumblebee wings are flaked almonds but his dad misheard that as fake almonds!

rockinhippy Thu 14-Feb-13 11:47:31

Lots of really lovely cakes on here - I am now coveting an airbrush wonder envy

I've just realised I was meant to add instructions of some sort - wish there was an edit button now - doh!!

stealthsquiggle Thu 14-Feb-13 12:01:26

Madjeski Stadium looks fantastic, Wonder. I got an airbrush for Christmas too, and to my shame I have yet to play with it. How much practice did it take to get that result?

stealthsquiggle Thu 14-Feb-13 12:03:10

Incidentally, MNHQ, do you have any idea how frustrating picture threads are for those of us trying to MN at work from smartphones? Could you kindly kick tech some more sort out the app so that you can see the pictures?

pinkmagic1 Fri 15-Feb-13 21:23:52

This is the cake I made for my daughters 6th birthday. I baked the body in a football shaped tin I hired from the local cake shop and the head in a pudding basin. The trunk and legs, I cut out from a rectangular cake. I put butter cream and jam in the centre, assembled, coated in jam and covered with coloured fondant icing.
There are some really fabulous cakes on here.

pinkmagic1 Fri 15-Feb-13 21:24:39

From the back!

TigerMumalert13 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:15:33

Made this for a friend's little girl. Hardest part was the lettering, used a few methods like piping over a tracing paper backwards, wait for it to dry then place on the fresh icing to make the indentations! Or trace over the words onto the fondant with a sharp tool but best way was to use a needle over the tracing paper and poke holes through it onto the fondant. Took forever but it was worth it.

Wonderlandbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:53

Hi stealthsquiggle, that was the first ever airbrushing onto a cake. I practised spraying a bit on paper but it's not the same as the different angles on a cake so thought I just had to go for it! My friend didn't know I was making the cake so it didn't matter if it went wrong. I watched a few Youtube clips, that's about it. I wouldn't want to spend over £100 on a course. I learn every new technique through Youtube...including how the actual compressor and airbrush work - as the instructions were rubbish!!! grin)

Wonderlandbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 21:15:29

A cake for my uncle's 90th. My first time making modelling chocolate and creating roses and the cigarellos to go round the edge. My uncle's main cake was a 12" fruit cake (and royal iced) but I prefer this one...being all chocolate! X

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Sat 16-Feb-13 21:23:34

Made for my nephews christening

twistybookworm Sat 16-Feb-13 23:23:28

All these cakes are amazing.

My dd3's birthday cake. I made a Beatrice fairy complete with feeding tube and oxygen cannula grin 'twas very life like!

Close up of the Beatrice fairy.

XBenedict Sun 17-Feb-13 21:19:00

Made for my daughter last week using a chocolate marble cake.

Really enjoying this thread, especially the advice and pictures smile

I wont really enter as the finish on my cakes is that of 'mother oprganising party' rather than of cake maker but I was very proud of this for my DD's 4th. She asked for a fairy castle.

The main castle is 3 square tins of chocolate chip plain songe (dd's favourite), then the base of turrents are upturned cupcakes. The towers are upside down ice cream cones coated in choco,ate and covered in pink glitter. They looked a little less scruffy in real life. before it was photo ed there were pink flag butterfly candles coming out the tops too.

Me and DD ate the drawbridge a few days later....

This was for DS2's 4th birthday. He didn't like it. He said he'd asked for a bat cave, not Gotham city.

Ungrateful urchin!

It's Nigella's buttermilk birthday cake underneath, with everything cut out of fondant icing. The buildings go all the way around - even the teeny tiny lights!

The biscuits were decorated in layers with royal icing, and handed out in the party bags. I did red ones and green ones. They have enough sugar and colouring in them to keep the kids up for weeks!

Tailtwister Tue 19-Feb-13 08:03:17

Well, I think it's fantastic newpencilcase! In fact, it's inspired me to consider a superhero cake for DS2's next birthday. Did you do the cookies too?

Chellie3 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:32:32

My son, Bertie celebrated his first birthday on Valentines Day. His favourite passtime to date is swimming hence the swimming pool cake. I made the sugarpaste icing from scratch, not a task I would rush to do again and filled the middle of the cake with blue jelly for the water. The cake itself is madeira and i have used a pink wafer for the diving board and made the steps out of long lighting sticks. The characters in the water are jelly babies and the rubber rings are haribo. I thoroughly enjoyed making this cake and hope that Bertie will enjoy looking at the pictures in years to come.

baheewheeler Wed 20-Feb-13 22:40:52

here's a cake I made for my younger daughter's 5th birthday - Charlie the Clown came to the party...It's two stacked pudding-bowl cakes, with a cupcake head (all roughly carved to the right shape!) His trousers are chocolate, made by covering an upturned bowl in foil then covering with melted chocolate and peeling off the foil once hardened. It was one of those jobs where halfway through I regretted having started - up until 2am! - but daughter was delighted with it....

I did do the biscuits too! They took forever.

It was the first time I'd used royal icing as flood icing but will definitely do them again. I used a snowflake cutter which I bent out of shape to make the Pow shape, then did the background and let it dry. The following day I did the writing. The time consuming bit was using a toothpick to make sure it got into all the corners.

The cake was filled and covered with buttercream & covered in fondant.

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 21-Feb-13 10:02:15

Alright, I can't resist joining in!

I made this racing car for DS's 5th birthday. The tyres were chocolate-covered mini doughnuts and the driver was a lindor chocolate. The car was covered in buttercream and smoothed with a palette knife dipped in hot water.

EssKay Thu 21-Feb-13 20:07:50

Oh dear am I too late? Just in case I'm allowed to sneak my entry in, here it is. It was for my sons 3rd birthday last week, made from a chocolate Madeira cake baked in a 12" square tin. I cut it in half, stacked the 2 halves, carved the angled window and made the back half shorter than the cab, and and then split each layer horizontally. Then I froze all the bits before covering with chocolate buttercream and coloured sugarpaste. It took about 10 long long hours, but my sons face when he saw it made it all worthwhile!

The cakes on this thread are amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now