Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Show us your cakes and win a signed copy of Delia's new book

(165 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet England (MNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 14:32:14

As part of Food Feb - a month-long celebration of food on Mumsnet - we want you to show us the cakes you've made and decorated for your family. It could be a first birthday special, or a wedding cake for your sibling - whatever it is, we'd like to see it.

The three best cakes submitted will each win a copy of Delia Smith's new book, Delia's Cakes. Even better, we'll have the cooking goddess herself coming in for a webchat on 28 February, when she'll announce the three winners and personally sign a copy of her new book for them.

What we'd really love is that when you post your picture you include any tips on how you made it and give specifics on decorating styles, tools or tricks that you used, so that others can emulate your cake-decorating prowess.

To enter, simply upload your image as a post on this thread, using the image upload tool. See our image-uploading tips in the topic note above.

We'll shortly be showcasing this comp on our Facebook page too. (We'll post up the link when it's live.) Winners will be chosen from all the cake pics uploaded to this Talk thread and to Facebook.

The competition closes on 20 February, at which point we'll convene an MNHQ panel to judge the entries and decide on three winners. For additional terms and conditions go to our T&Cs page

If you're one of them, we'll contact you on Wednesday 27 February to ask whether you'd like Delia to inscribe the book with your Mumsnet or RL name.

MikeLitoris Argentina Mon 04-Feb-13 19:02:00

Thats lovely Ugg.

Ive asked hq for clarication on the family thing.

TickledOnion Mon 04-Feb-13 19:30:34

This is the cake I made for DD1's 3rd birthday.
I made 2 chocolate cakes in a casserole then sandwiched them and froze them. They were then easier to carve into the right shape. Buttercreamed them and chilled again and then covered in sugarpaste.
The ben and holly were also made from sugarpaste but they sunk into themselves a bit. I should have used something to help them dry out and possibly something to strengthen them.
The antenna were made of spaghetti that was covered in sugarpaste with a sugarpaste ball on top.
This was my first go at sugarpaste.

I love it tickledonion. Really cute.

Thats lovely tickledonion you're very talented. For the modelling though, you mentioned drying them out - get yourself some gum tragacanth (you can get it in cake shops and on Ebay) it makes the sugarpaste harden so they don't sink

Tailtwister Tue 05-Feb-13 08:01:43

These cakes are amazing! I'm about to make an Octonauts cake for this weekend, so we shall see if it's good enough to enter. So many talented people!

CatherineHMumsnet England (MNHQ) Tue 05-Feb-13 09:16:00

Hi MikeLitoris and Bottleoffish - I think, as we said family in our OP that we'll have to stick to cakes made for members of your family and not friends. Sorry!

MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 05-Feb-13 10:53:03

No problems. Can I post another one then? Delete that one up there if you like.

LoonyRationalist Tue 05-Feb-13 11:09:07

This is my daughter's 5th Birthday cake, - can't take credit for the rapunzel decoration as it was a transfer, However...

LoonyRationalist Tue 05-Feb-13 11:11:25

.. the rainbow inside was all my own work and I was super proud of how fabulously it turned out! Lots of work (each layer has to be baked separately ) but super effective. I loved the way that it looked like just a standard cake until you cut into it.

Theicingontop Tue 05-Feb-13 11:22:52

Oh sad Can I re-enter then?

Love the rainbow! How much paste/gel colour did you use to make the colours bright enough?

LoonyRationalist Tue 05-Feb-13 11:28:07

Gel colour, just judged it by eye re colours. Colours are brighter after baking than in the cake mix.

Just had a browse through everyone's entries, there are some seriously talented cake decorators among you, my dd2 would love the Gaston cake smile

Tee2072 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:30:07

Mine isn't impressive, but today is my birthday so I thought I'd put up my birthday cake that I made myself.

grin

LoonyRationalist Tue 05-Feb-13 11:40:05

Happy Birthday Tee smile

Tee2072 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:44:18

Thanks Loony. grin

CatherineHMumsnet England (MNHQ) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:21:00

MikeLitoris - have done that for you.

And Happy Birthday Tee2072!!

Blatherskite Tue 05-Feb-13 13:23:25

This was DD's birthday cake for her Teddy Bear's Picnic party

Blatherskite Tue 05-Feb-13 13:25:37

Forgot to say - The tablecloth was a huge sheet of fondant that I painted with the squares. It took ages!

Tee2072 Tue 05-Feb-13 13:34:28

Thanks Catherine!

Does it count that one of the layers is blue because my 3 year old insisted Mummy's birthday cake had to be blue? grin

MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 05-Feb-13 17:12:46

second try!

This was made for my cousins birthday, she had a very pretty crown to go on top. (4yo btw)

blue2 Tue 05-Feb-13 17:27:48

I'm not sure if cupcakes are allowed - but I'd like to add mine just in case!

They're actually fruit cake cupcakes that I made for a friends wedding last year, with royal icing on the top which made for a lovely flat surface to decorate.

MIL was paying for the cakes, and she wanted fruit cake, but my friend wanted cupcakes - voila! - problem solved! (Phew!)

XBenedict Tue 05-Feb-13 17:31:27

Have just made this for DD's birthday tomorrow. There are some fabulous cakes on here!!

Hannahnz Tue 05-Feb-13 17:44:17

I made this for my colleagues on my leaving day- lil buba arrived 3 days later and what do you think I made to celebrate her autumn arrival :D. Decadent orange chocolate cake with orange chocolate leaves and edible gold spray paint. I made the leaf stensils by tracing around autumn leaves them painted them with melted chocolate, lying them over various objects so they would dry curved.

Dumpyandabdabs Tue 05-Feb-13 17:44:50

Oh I better re enter too then as mine was for a friend.

Dumpyandabdabs Tue 05-Feb-13 17:47:48

I made this one for my SIL 30th. It was the first time I had attempted a wonky cake, really scary prospect but it turned out quite well. I made the planets on the wires using a product called artista soft. Its not edible (non toxic) but its brilliant for things on wires as it is super lightweight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now