Show us your cakes and win a signed copy of Delia's new book

(165 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 14:32:14

As part of Food Feb - a month-long celebration of food on Mumsnet - we want you to show us the cakes you've made and decorated for your family. It could be a first birthday special, or a wedding cake for your sibling - whatever it is, we'd like to see it.

The three best cakes submitted will each win a copy of Delia Smith's new book, Delia's Cakes. Even better, we'll have the cooking goddess herself coming in for a webchat on 28 February, when she'll announce the three winners and personally sign a copy of her new book for them.

What we'd really love is that when you post your picture you include any tips on how you made it and give specifics on decorating styles, tools or tricks that you used, so that others can emulate your cake-decorating prowess.

To enter, simply upload your image as a post on this thread, using the image upload tool. See our image-uploading tips in the topic note above.

We'll shortly be showcasing this comp on our Facebook page too. (We'll post up the link when it's live.) Winners will be chosen from all the cake pics uploaded to this Talk thread and to Facebook.

The competition closes on 20 February, at which point we'll convene an MNHQ panel to judge the entries and decide on three winners. For additional terms and conditions go to our T&Cs page

If you're one of them, we'll contact you on Wednesday 27 February to ask whether you'd like Delia to inscribe the book with your Mumsnet or RL name.

bebejones Sat 02-Feb-13 15:37:01

Was rushing out earlier so just popped back to say, I tried to enter on Facebook too, but it went all weird so I'm not sure if it worked (maybe because I'm using an iPad and not a PC/laptop?!) so that is why I also posted on here too! Hope that is ok? smile

All the cakes are looking so fabulous, good luck everyone!

This was for my friends 30th birthday. She is allergic to dairy, so this is all dairy free cake. She hadn't had a birthday cake since she was little, so I tried to make it a big as possible! All the decorations were made from fondant with tylose added. The castle is from a Debie Brown book.

This cake was for my son's fourth birthday. He had an "animal man" party with lots of animals to pet including a 6ft snake so he was keen to have a snake cake. I am pleased with it because I tried a number of different techniques for the first time and I learnt a lot from it.

The base is a triple layer chocolate cake with chocolate fudge filling that I made a week in advance and froze to make carving easier. The snake was made from a normal chocolate rice crispie cake mix. I shaped the rice crispie cakes into a long curved sausage shape while still warm, then left it to set in the fridge. I covered it with a thin layer of buttercream to smooth out the lumps and bumps, then with ivory fondant textured with a snakeskin embossing mat (never done embossing before!). I cut out the middle of the top tier cake while still cold so that the basket had a lip and I could position the snake as if it were coming out of the basket rather than just sitting on top of it. After assembling the base, I crumb-coated it and then piped basketweave buttercream (vanilla with colour to make it look like straw). I was quite pleased with this because I have never piped buttercream other than swirls on cupcakes before. It was a hot day and it would have been better if I had kept chilling the buttercream because it got too warm in my hands and some of the definition was lost towards the last pipework.

The snakes eyes were jelly beans with a pupil painted on, the fangs were slivers of almond and the tongue was cut from a fruit jelly sweet. I painted the markings on the snake with paste colours watered down with vodka - another thing I was trying for the first time. I am pleased with the overall effect but I think I needed a little more time to make the underside of the snake neater. My DD was only 1 year and very demanding so I had to work on the cake in fits and starts between BF and I was exhausted at the end when I finished.

Just... Wow!

MikeLitoris Sun 03-Feb-13 11:21:46

those snake cakes scare me. very well done though.

i just realised I posted the same pic twice blush idiot.

My daughter's 3rd birthday cake. It's a chocolate fudge cake, with chocolate fudge frosting, and piped butter cream.

I like the dinosaur and Wem's dragon and MrsMangobiscuit's little monster.

ithaka Sun 03-Feb-13 12:51:41

This is shark cake for a swimming themed birthday party that turned into a nightmare - I would have preferred to have been on the boat when Jaws struck!

ithaka Sun 03-Feb-13 12:54:54

This is a guinea pig cake my daughter made (all by herself) when she was 13.

ithaka Sun 03-Feb-13 12:56:44

Another of my daughter's creations - she was 12 when she made this one.

ithaka Sun 03-Feb-13 12:57:31

Another view:

ithaka Sun 03-Feb-13 12:59:29

A tank cake I made for my saddo husband

beanbump Sun 03-Feb-13 15:11:32

I made this for a friends 30th birthday! I thought it was pretty good until I saw the rest of these cakes!! They are amazing! My friend was happy though so that is the important part!!

DeafLeopard Sun 03-Feb-13 15:26:20

Fabulous cakes. I'm no good at baking, I'm just marking my place to keep admiring the cakes

Made this for my husband. This was baked in 2 half litre pyrex dishes, before crumb-coating and covering in flesh coloured icing. I then fashioned a shirt from white icing

A wedding cake I made recently.

Bottom tier is fruit, then chocolate then vanilla and the top tier was just for the bride and Baileys flavoured.

The only tip I have is if you are going to cover a cake in fondant and you want it to be fantastically smooth then invest in a pair of cake smoothers - they are inexpensive but there is no other way to get a perfectly smooth and shiny covered cake.

Bottleoffish Sun 03-Feb-13 22:53:31

Can I please just clarify, can we enter a cake we have made for a friend? As it says family members, but I am trying to choose between two I have made, one was for a family member, one for a friends daughter.

Thanks!

MsMarple Sun 03-Feb-13 23:14:03

Here is the wedding cake I made for my sister - it was part fruitcake, part coffee&walnut, and part vanilla sponge - it was a giant learning curve as I'd never made a stacked cake before. The most useful thing I learnt was to push dowelling sticks into the bottom tiers of the cake to balance the layers above on, and stop them collapsing into each other. Oh and to cut the supports for each layer carefully to the same size , or it could look a bit wonky!

MsMarple Sun 03-Feb-13 23:16:39

Here is a close up of the topper, which I made from Fimo so they could keep it afterwards. The best tip I have here is to bake the model every time you add a new bit, so nothing gets squashed. I.e. make giraffe body, then bake, then add spots, then bake etc.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Feb-13 14:11:23

Just wanted to pop in and say WOW. Can't believe how brilliant these cakes are. Keep 'em coming!

MikeLitoris Mon 04-Feb-13 16:06:26

Does it have to be family? That cake up there wasnt family but I have plenty that were if its essential.

FleurP Mon 04-Feb-13 16:20:10

This was one I made for our lo 2nd birthday...while 8 and a half mo the pregnant!

FleurP Mon 04-Feb-13 16:21:00

The front bit...(slightly unfinished)

DameMargotFountain Mon 04-Feb-13 16:29:10

the top is on a board on top of the bottom cake, so could be lifted off to keep for DDs actual birthday

uggbug Mon 04-Feb-13 18:52:27

This was for my DDs 'naming day' and 1st birthday party. Its Mich Turner's lemon drizzle recipe (google), which keeps really well inside white icing if you coat the outside of the cake with lemon curd buttercream (the same that you use inside), and then chill for an hour, before putting the icing on. This means you can make it a few days ahead and it is still really moist inside. I'm sure this method would work with chocolate cake and choc buttercream as well.

To get the butterflies flying out of the cake I mixed some pink icing (you can buy all colours on Amazon), with some white sugarpaste. You then push some 'florist wires' into the butterflies straight away, don't wiggle around, and leave to harden. This makes for really solid flying butterflies (or you can do it with any shape - I did stars for my DS like a firework). I then dusted on pink shimmer powder (all this you can easily get on Amazon. I am a complete amateur and this is an easy method to get a great effect.

For the butterflies flying around each layer I used a butterfly cutter and the pink icing rolled out thin and then stuck them in with edible sugar glue.

You will need dowels in each layer holding up thin boards to support the cakes. I was going to buy cake boards and then realised I could just used the bases of the loose cake tins I had used - especially useful for the heart shaped layer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now