American frosting advice please

(10 Posts)
OPeaches Thu 31-Jan-13 13:07:21

Posted this in baking but realised it was in the wrong place, so sorry if you've seen it already.

Am planning on using American frosting on a rainbow cake I'm making so I can get a nice bright white finish. From what I've read, i.e. a quick google, I need to work fast to get the cake covered as the icing sets quickly. So, two questions:

How quickly? How long do I have before its unworkable?

Do I need to crumb coat first with buttercream?

TIA

fallenangle Thu 31-Jan-13 13:17:04

OP can you give more info on the frosting, ingredients, is it from a packet? What I have always called frosting doesn't actually set hard.

OPeaches Thu 31-Jan-13 13:21:15

Don't have the recipe to hand, but you whip egg whites, make sugar syrup then whip them together for 15 minutes. Does that make sense?

OPeaches Thu 31-Jan-13 13:22:57

Or, do you have a simpler way of making snowy white icing? My way sounds v complicated!

fallenangle Thu 31-Jan-13 13:52:29

For an 8" cake. the following are US cup sizes (8 fl oz) 1/3 cup solid vegetable fat, 2cups icing sugar. Plus pinch salt and 2 tablespoons cream.
Cream fat and salt, stir in the sugar, then the cream. Beat well. Add more cream or sugar if necessary to get spreadable consistency.

fallenangle Thu 31-Jan-13 14:15:27

I looked in my Fanny Farmer, She was the American Delia, long before Delia, honest. Your method is called Mountain White Frosting. The one I use is Confectioners Frosting.

fallenangle Thu 31-Jan-13 14:17:20

Auto correct! Fannie Farmer

OPeaches Thu 31-Jan-13 18:11:21

Thank you - will try your way I think. I had no idea you could use vegetable fat to make icing.

Cakebitch Thu 31-Jan-13 19:58:53

Why not try italian meringue buttercream?

OPeaches Sat 02-Feb-13 10:46:21

The Italian one sounds lovely. Will need to invest in a thermometer first though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now