Your favourite frosting

(26 Posts)

I have two or three varieties of frosting that I tend to use, but want to try some new ones and wondered what other people make. Any low or full fat ideas welcome!

No, but that sounds very nice!

LouiseFisher Mon 04-Feb-13 21:34:34

I love topping my cakes with Clippy's Apple & Raspberry Ripple Conserve. It tastes amazing as a frosting. I think you can buy it from Tesco, Morrisons etc... Has anyone tried it?

I will have to try the swiss meringue too. It's almost half-term time and my friends will be popping in with their DCs and I always make some cakes, so may do the swiss for us and the cream cheese one for the DCs.

CMOTDibbler Sat 02-Feb-13 18:04:56

Great to hear you like it Wem - dh doesn't normalling like icing, but loves swiss meringue and always asks for it now

wem Sat 02-Feb-13 15:08:10

Thanks for the tip CMOTDibbler. I've just made a batch of cupcakes with it, and it's lovely! Sooooo much nicer than a lump of normal buttercream on top.

I can definitely recommend it LittleAbruzzenBear.

I think so, I'm not sure. I always say glacé icing, royal icing and frosting for some reason. confused. All icing is good though, it's what makes a cake worth having IMO.

ThenWeTakeBerlin Sat 02-Feb-13 07:06:29

Is frosting the same as icing? Just wondering smile

TheIcing DH would go crazy for peanut butter frosting - he is a peanut butter monster.

CMOTDibbler Fri 01-Feb-13 17:32:12

That looks good, though I cut my butter into tiny cubes as it incorporates better, and I use dried egg whites for convenience

wem Fri 01-Feb-13 16:31:22

CMOTdibbler - I want to try swiss meringue buttercream this weekend, does this look like a reasonable recipe?

Theicingontop Fri 01-Feb-13 16:28:12

Peanut butter frosting. I could eat by the bowl full, it's great to use as a filling for chocolate cupcakes as well.

Thank you big, that white choc frost sounds fab too!

Glad I was right the first time HeadFairy, I usually get things wrong!

ChippyMinton Fri 01-Feb-13 13:10:11

This white chocolate ganache from the Great Comic Relief Bake Off recipe booklet:
100g white chocolate, finley chopped
100ml whipping cream (i used double)
Put choc in heatproof bowl.
Heat cream until hot but not boiloing, then pour slowly over chocolate. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes, then stir gently until melted. smooth and glossy. Leave to cool and thicken before smoothing over the cake.

It tastes like Milky Bar smile

HeadFairy Fri 01-Feb-13 13:04:32

LittleAbruzzen Thank you. Yes, it is our nanny as in the person who cares for our children when we're at work smile My plan to finish off the leftovers were foiled by the fact that they polished the lot off yesterday... so it must have been good grin

bigbadbarry Fri 01-Feb-13 12:51:40

Even if you are not mad about red velvet, this white chocolate and cream cheese frosting is amazing

CMOTDibbler Fri 01-Feb-13 12:50:33

Swiss meringue buttercream - its so light and tasty and not sickly at all

blush just realised, you could have meant, Nanny as in a relation! Doh! Either way, making a cake for someone is always lovely.

What a lovely employer you are HeadFairy, that's very thoughtful.

HeadFairy Thu 31-Jan-13 18:30:11

ooh that nutella buttercream sounds divine. I made our nanny a birthday cake last night and only at the last minute realised I'd run out of butter to make buttercream, so I filled the cake with Nutella and whipped cream in the manner of a chocolatey victoria sponge. Heavenly!

jennimoo Thu 31-Jan-13 18:26:20

Do both ;)

Thank you both! I will be adding those to my frosting recipes, but which do I make for my cakes this weekend....oooh, decisions!

jennimoo Thu 31-Jan-13 12:32:54

It's just buttercream with a bit of Nutella, but I think the recipe I saw originally was this:
http://www.kitchentreaty.com/fluffy-nutella-buttercream-frosting/

Cream cheese frosting - I could eat it with a spoon. In fact, in my mind, cupcakes are merely vehicles for cream cheese frosting, justification for eating a couple of heaped tablespoons of the stuff in one go! grin I just use full fat cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla essence. It is divine spread on warm cinnamon rolls.

That sounds lovely. Do you just mix nutella in with butter, or cream cheese?

jennimoo Thu 31-Jan-13 07:18:25

Nutella buttercream is amazing, my new favourite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now