Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Chocolate cake in the oven baking....

(13 Posts)
MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Tue 22-Jan-13 17:52:12

Yep! It does work!

Tee2072 Tue 22-Jan-13 15:40:51

Did it work?!?!

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Jan-13 13:41:18

wrapped it and pin it and bake it with cloth in place?

Thanks MustTidy

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Tue 22-Jan-13 12:59:04

Want an easy tip for a flat top cake?
Rip up an old piece of material (I use a muslin) and wet it. Then wrap it around the circumference of the tin and pin it.
Then the pan doesn't get up so quickly and your cake won't dome.
(New discovery and wanted to share grin

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Jan-13 12:54:30

well, I gave it another 10 mins. It's not wobbling and the skewer is clean. The middle has risen up a bit more than the rest, but I can trim it down and neaten it up a bit. (For DD's 2nd Birthday)
Thanks for the help grin

SavoyCabbage Tue 22-Jan-13 12:48:48

Give it a wobble on the shelf. If it wobbles it definitely is not cooked enough.

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Jan-13 12:28:38

Ok, thanks Savoy. That's pretty much what I thought. So don't take it out of the oven to test it. Just pull the shelf out with cake on/reach into the oven.

Right, beepers about to go off for first test....here goes smile

SavoyCabbage Tue 22-Jan-13 12:13:57

Exactly Julia. grin

Stick a skewer in it if you have one. You can have a look at it first to see what you think then give it a jab with a skewer. Or fork. If it comes out with squigy mixture on its not cooked.

You need to prevent the cake from sinking by not letting too much air in the oven so try to be as quick as you can.

Some chocolate cakes are better a bit raw in the middle so do t worry too much.

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Jan-13 11:58:01

ok, I've turned it down a fraction, its smelling amazing. smile

I dont get time to bake very often, so whats the best way to check it's done then?

DoItToJulia Tue 22-Jan-13 11:54:27

Mainly for the burnt ones savoy wink

SavoyCabbage Tue 22-Jan-13 11:53:06

There are many cake rules...wink

Perhaps just a fraction lower temperature wise and a little longer. That's what I would do, being a cake rule rebel.

Tee2072 Tue 22-Jan-13 11:51:55

I'd check it at 80 minutes and then do 5 - 10 minute increments after that.

TettyLouBar Tue 22-Jan-13 11:49:40

...and I've just realised that I haven't recalculated the cooking time.
The original recipe was to be baked at 140 degrees (fan oven) for 80 mins, but I've used 1 and ½ times the recipe amounts to make a bigger cake.

Is there a rough rule when baking larger quantities?

Thanks in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now