Sugar Crafters over Here Please - HELP - Crochet Look Icing ??

(9 Posts)
rockinhippy Thu 17-Jan-13 14:16:16

I'm just about to start making my MIL 75th birthday cake - running late due to DD being ill this week & now panicking as she's always been an avid crochet/knitter & I want to make it a Crocket themed cake as thats always been her main interest/hobby.

I have my design in mind - round cake with a couple of balls of wool on top & knitting needles poking through them, wool wriggling off the cake to form the writing & a crotchet hook- I'm okay on that bit -

BUT I want to make the main body of the cake look like it has been crochet, so concentric rings of bright colours, that need to have something pressed into it, that will make it look more like crotchet - this is where I'm stuck

Has anyone done this, know how to do this, have any ideas - I've tried google, but its not being my friend right now - just brings up actually cakes that have been made out of crotchet hmm

TIA smile

If you google cake with crochet fondant it brings up a few actual cakes. this isn't quite what you wanted but it looks like they've moulded it with fondant

rockinhippy Thu 17-Jan-13 23:43:35

Thanks Soup that was actually a big help - it made me re think my googling & I eventually found quite a bit of useful stuff following a link to Pinterest - some of it was polymer clay, but I think I know what I'm doing now smile

Often it's just a matter of thinking of something different to google smile

rockinhippy Sun 20-Jan-13 23:59:05

It was, but I was stuck, so thanks, mind you when I did get around to icing it & checking some of the tutorials & stuff I found on Pinterest to make the wool balls, I gave up too much of a PITA & I was short on time - thankfully my brain kicked into gear & I managed to work it out for myself & even better MIL absolutely loved it smile

rockinhippy Mon 21-Jan-13 00:00:53

Never done this before on this bit, but here goes blush

[applause]

Fabulous!

rockinhippy Mon 21-Jan-13 09:11:00

Thank you - [takes a bow] smile

oh that is lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now