Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Cupcake maker... I know, I know, but please hear me out...

(13 Posts)

Hello oh wise baking ladies... I was just wondering if any of you have tried these cupcake-makers that have appeared recently? I am suffering from a case of crap oven syndrome, whereby my helpful oven either leaves things raw or INCINERATES anything I dare to put into it... Its getting to the point where I'm considering burning sacrificial herbs on the kitchen floor before baking to appease the kitchen gods... smile Are they any good? Its my birthday on Thursday, and I'd like to make some cakes for my friends at work

SpeckledJim Sun 13-Jan-13 21:08:26

I have one that was on special offer in aldi last year. It is very quick and easy but makes tiny cakes, literally two bites I would say. Not sure if others are the same .

Thanks Jim, do they taste any good though? And do you make up the mix from scratch, or use packet mix?

mablemurple Sun 13-Jan-13 21:18:53

You need to invest in an oven thermometer, it will take all the guesswork out of setting your oven temperature. They're not very expensive.

Hmm that's a good idea... stupid rented house oven
<sulks>

Cupcake makers could be very frustrating for producing any significant number, I suspect. That said, I own a cake pop maker and am very fond of it, so the principle definitely works, and I do understand the temptation

I bought one. Used it once. Had a what the fuck are you doing moment and took it back. I'm not the world's greatest baker by a long stretch but even I can sling a few fairy cakes in the oven fairly successfully.

Cake pop maker is a different story. I love my one because I want spherical cakes not balls of mushed icing/cake shite.

Oven thermometer is the way to go smile

or oven thermometer AND a cake pop maker... Hmmmm...
This is why I love MN smile

DeafLeopard Sun 13-Jan-13 22:10:02

DD got one for Christmas - I felt happier with her using that than the oven.

It makes 6 in one go, so not great for doing loads, but it heats up in 5 minutes and takes 10 minutes to bake them.

AnnIonicIsoTronic Sun 13-Jan-13 22:23:49

Second the cake pop maker.

Same idea - but somehow less slovenly, since the spherical shape makes it an entirely different product hmm . But actually quite fun for novelty kids baking etc.

I've used tesco value sponge mix for the DC to 'do it them selves' (the 6yo did the mix, the 8yo did the cake pops) - and with proper buttery fairy cake mix for my work mates. Both worked, although the real mix released a bit of grease.

It's a faff to do a batch without child labour , but 4 minutes to do 6, which makes it suitable for e.g. Easy way to entertain visiting kids.

I'm going to have an excellent weekend making lots of baked goodness smile

LadybirdsAreFab Mon 14-Jan-13 07:41:48

I bought one for DD as she loves making cupcakes and I didn't want loads of cupcakes hanging around for me to eat. I also have a double oven so hate heating it up for a dozen cupcakes. It is great and makes lovely cupcakes. The biggest tips I got were, use use silicon cases and fill them outside the maker. Filling them up inside the maker cools the unit down and doesn't make nice cupcakes.

Oh brilliant, it hadn't even occurred to me to use silicon cases but I do have some smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now