First birthday cake for a baby with an egg allergy?

(8 Posts)
ouryve Mon 21-Jan-13 00:17:27

I baked DS1 a boiled carrot cake from Australian Woman's weekly - he got really bad eczema from eggs back then. 2nd birthday was a vegan chocolate cake. They're a bit puddingy, but perfectly delicious.

TeaCupCrazy Mon 21-Jan-13 00:15:36

Ok that link is the wrong one! This one should be the right one.

www.puredairyfree.co.uk/recipe.php?id=163

TeaCupCrazy Mon 21-Jan-13 00:13:59

This may be too late but i just made this today. It was delicious and its a very easy recipe considering its egg and dairy free.

www.puredairyfree.co.uk/recipe.php?id=16

thebluenailbrush Sun 13-Jan-13 17:59:06

also in Fiona cairn's the birthday cake book there's an egg, dairy and nut free cake. she fills it with fresh raspberries but use whatever you like. again this is untested by me. Personally i'd go with Gh's triple tested recipe above.

serves 12.
140ml sunflower oil, 360 g sr flour, 60g cocoa, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt (i'd use way less than that personally), 400g caster sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 4 tsp white wine vinegar,
400g raspberries (to fill cake with)

preheat oven to 170c /gas 3 1/2 oil 2 23cm tins and line bases

sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. stir in sugar.

in another bowl measure in the oil and 400 ml water and the vanilla, then add the flour mixture, stirring in the vinegar last of all.
pour batter between the 2 tins and bake for 30-35 mins or until a skewer emerges clean.

when cool put one cake on a cake stand, top with most of the raspberries, place other cake on top and scatter with rest of the raspberries. Sift over some icing sugar to serve.

thebluenailbrush Sun 13-Jan-13 17:44:40

www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate-fudge-cake

not tried it but should work- i have it cut out at home

brainonastick Sun 13-Jan-13 16:58:13

Cakes are harder without eggs, but something like a banna bread loaf in a tin comes out nicely. You could do a couple and sandwich together/cover with icing, to make a square cake. Or make individual muffins, they're also fine without egg.

nextphase Sun 13-Jan-13 16:46:40

If you google egg free cake recipie, loads of stuff come up.

As a first birthday, I've made a plain sponge cake, maybe sandwiched with a little jam?

Or maybe make mini ricekrispie cakes, and put a little decoration on the top?

But then I sound like I might be much more lax with the introducing cake and biscuits - both mine were helping me make them before their first birthdays!

I'd like to make DS a little treat for his 1st birthday, especially as he isn't likely to have tried anything cake-like before then.

Obviously even without the egg allergy I'd want to make it as healthy as possible for him. Any ideas? Or should I forget about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now