Pleeeease - help me make a spiderman cake... NOVICE ALERT

(3 Posts)
TINKERBELLE33 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:53:12

This is the cake I am going to make next month for DS. There are some great videos showing how to do this on YouTube. Sorry can't link as phone playing up!

Woolfey Fri 11-Jan-13 16:15:20

What about using sugar paste icing? It already comes in colours so you don't have to worry about making it red as you can just buy the red paste. If you can think how to make a spiderman face out of playdough then you can make it out of sugar paste. You can buy it from cake shops or online. Also my local cake shop has cake mixes which you basically mix with water, give it a few minutes in the mixer then shove it in the oven. They also do black felt tip pen things which are edible so you could draw things on with it.
If you type spiderman cake into youtube there are some tutorials.
Good luck smile

jobnockey Fri 11-Jan-13 12:52:13

I am not a great baker (although obviously its because I have a duff oven) but always like to do DS's birthday cake. last years was a bit if a disaster but I think I was trying to be too complicated (erupting volcanoes/dinosaurs/treeferns etc...yes - it looked shit) so going to keep it simple this year.
He wants spiderman... so i am thinking of just doing a spiderman face. Anyone got any tips or ideas or basically any help at all as i'd like him to have a good cake this year! I know red is not an easy colour to achieve with icing... so i thought maybe a blue frosted background and then red sprinkles for spidey's face, adding white icing for eye area... and then draw on the black lines with some writing icing??? does this sound achievable or am i over-complicating again?
and on the subject of the cake itself - does anyone have a fool proof chocolate cake recipe, advice on how big it needs to be, do i need a cake board etc etc...
so basically - help with everythgin please!!!!
i need to get it right as MIL offered to do it but i said no as I wanted to do it myself...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now