Can anyone help me find a recipe for this tray bake?

(9 Posts)
jimblejambles Mon 07-Jan-13 16:26:23

When I was little my gran used to make a try bake that was a chocolate base with a thin green minty layer then covered in chocolate. Unfortunately she never gave me the recipe and I am pregnant and need to eat it smile
Any ideas what it is or where I could find the recipe?
Tia

Brightonite Mon 07-Jan-13 19:04:06

Could it be a variant of Nanaimo Bars? here or if you need mint, try this mint

legalalien Mon 07-Jan-13 19:56:34

I'm guessing something like the chocolate mint slice that I grew up with

www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/chocolate-mint-slice.html

We never called them tray bakes. Is it an English term? Always "slices" or "squares" in nz IME.

DoItToJulia Mon 07-Jan-13 20:51:16

Oh my. My mum gave me an old recipe book earlier and. Think it has your recipe in. Weird!

1pk rich tea biscuits
2 tbsp drinking choc
2dessert spoons sugar
4 oz marg
1 heaped tbsp syrup 4 oz choc

Icing:
4 oz icing sugar
2 oz butter
Peppermint essence
Green colouring

Break biscuits into small pieces and add chocolate powder. Melt marg, sugar and syrup in pan and add to biscuits. Mix thoroughly and press into the base of well greased pan. Leave until cold. Cover with the butter icing flavoured with the peppermint essence and green colour. Cover with melted chocolate and leave to set.

Strange recipe... I mean, what syrup? But. Reckon it's the one!let me know!

Brightonite Tue 08-Jan-13 08:52:29

I'm now waiting for JimbleJambles to come back to us with a giant bake off display of mint bars!

jimblejambles Tue 08-Jan-13 12:17:16

Thank yousmile
Think it is either the one brigthonite or DoItToJulia posted. Going to try them all.
They all look pretty amazing

kiwigirl42 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:37:37

thank you for that link legalalien. I'll be making some of those recipes. Wish I had some feijoas for feijoa loaf though. mmmm...

MarshmallowCupcake Wed 09-Jan-13 21:15:49

I remember those and it's doitjulias recipe that I think is the closest :-)

CaurnieBred Mon 11-Feb-13 12:27:48

Hi there. Saw this and decided to try it for DD's cake sale at school last week.

I amended it by not adding the sugar and hot chocolate to the biscuit base, but put in one tablespoon of cocoa and an extra spoonful of syrup instead.

It was yummy and it all sold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now