Red velvet cake?

(14 Posts)

Shop bought ones are vile but I made red velvet cakes and they were gorgeous, soft and delicious. You need to use the paste colour for a start. Liquid is pointless.

Think I have to make some today now.

I think I made a reddy velevetty cake once..

I used beetroot and chocolate and it was delicious!

StuckOnARollercoaster Tue 22-Jan-13 21:34:56

I think it works best as cupcakes with a very big dollop of frosting. As a cake I can see how it might be too much...

bigbadbarry Tue 22-Jan-13 21:31:38

Red red. Not rec red, obv.

bigbadbarry Tue 22-Jan-13 21:31:21

I like it! With a white chocolate and cream cheese frosting, yum yum yum. It isn't supposed to be rec red, just reddy brown.

I was wondering about Red Velvet Cake (I saw a Yankee Candle in this fragrance) and I wondered what it was exactly and if it would enhance my life?

The answers are -still unsure, it's a red chocolate cake with creamy frosting on it and No it probably won't enhance my life wink

thebluenailbrush Sun 13-Jan-13 10:33:36

try using natural cocoa- its far less dark than dutch processed, then you can use far less colouring.I also don't get it but had to help DD make one .

midori1999 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:11:36

Even with. Paste or powder food colour it will taste grim.... Really...

saintmerryweather Mon 07-Jan-13 19:15:54

I used the liquid. i took.it to work though and everyone seemed to.like it...weirdos! Ill try and get hold of some paste and try that. cheers guys

SecretNutellaFix Mon 07-Jan-13 00:35:28

did you use paste food colouring or liquid?

If you used the liquid, it does become very bitter very easily especially in the quantity needed to get the cake the right shade.

<voice of experience>

Does the food paste colours not work with cake? I cant see how they would give it a taste. Try them.

I dont get it much either but rainbow cakes look brilliant!

midori1999 Mon 07-Jan-13 00:26:59

It's not really meant to taste of chocolate and its quite hard to get the red colour without it tasting of food colouring.

Personally, I think Red Velvet is vile and I've tried several recipes and bought from several bakeries/cupcake shops.

LynetteScavo Sun 06-Jan-13 20:09:14

cocoa is very bitter.

Maybe add more sugar.

I don't get red velvet cake.

saintmerryweather Sun 06-Jan-13 20:03:26

I have made my first attempt at a red velvet cake. the recipe asked for 20g of cocoa powder, but the cake is quite bitter and tastes of the food colouring. if I take out some of the flour and double the cocoa, will it make it taste more chocolate or will it mess the cake up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now