May I share with you this recipe for "Red Wine Chocolate Cake"?

(7 Posts)
HoHoHopeForTheBest Mon 24-Dec-12 13:51:35

My (german) MIL makes it around this time every year, and it is somehow both festive, yet not too much, and gorgeous with a cup of tea/coffee/glass of wine smile

It also has the advantage of being absolutely fail-safe and really, really easy!

250 g butter
250 g sugar
250 g flour, mixed with 1 sachet baking powder (or use sr flour (which is not available in germany, but I'm sure would work)
4 eggs
125 ml red wine (my MIL infuses it with mulled wine spices to make it more Christmassy)
1 sachet vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla essence)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp cocoa (the good stuff - unsweetened cocoa powder)

Mix everything together in mixer (I did it butter + sugar first, then eggs, then the rest, but my MIL says she just bungs everything into the mixer and blitzes it). Mix until it is a smooth and creamy batter.
Pour into greased cake tin (she does it in either a loaf tin or the round one with a hole in the middle), and bake at 160°C for 1 hour.
Skewer stuck in should come out clean when it's done.

That's it! I know it sounds very plain, but it's really light, satisfyingly chocolatey, yet moist because of the red wine, and keeps well. We've had it with strawberry icecream as a dessert, but would also be good with cream (or indeed is lovely on its own too).

(Also - you can do it with red grape juice if you want to do a non-alcoholic version, it's still nice)

Thank you - that sounds fab grin

Sunnywithachanceofjinglebells Tue 25-Dec-12 02:10:30

That sounds gorgeous - thank you smile

NatashaBee Tue 25-Dec-12 02:11:41

Oooh sounds nice!

Sounds lush. Just to let you know though, if the wine goes in before its baked, the alcohol is baked out

Celestialcloud Fri 04-Jan-13 17:40:52

I have 2 bottles of mulled wine left from Christmas so will definitely use some with this recipe this weekend, thank you so much, sounds delicious!

It still tastes enough of red wine though that my DH (who doesn't like alcohol) won't touch it!
<more for me grin grin >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now