how do I make crumb coating (buttercream?)

(9 Posts)
angelasutton51 Thu 05-Jun-14 14:16:00

hi do you mean a half pound block of butter thanks angela

Yes the crumb coat is done from buttercream, thinned down slightly to make it glade smoothly. If you mix a 1kg box of icing sugar with a block of butter then add enough milk to make it smooth, you won't go wrong. I'm a caker by trade and use this recipe every day

NotInMyDay Sun 23-Dec-12 08:54:32

A crumb coat is a very thin coating of whatever icing you are using that is left to set before applying the 'real' coat.

It means there is a smoother surface to ice onto and no crumbs rolled up in your nice icing.

heidihole Sun 23-Dec-12 08:51:39

Oh hang on I thought crumb coat ad buttercream were the same thing. Are they not? I'm putting jam in the middle of the two sponges.

heidihole Sun 23-Dec-12 08:35:44

Thank you so much!

orangepudding Sun 23-Dec-12 08:13:44

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicbuttericing_73263

You need half the amount of softened butter to icing sugar. The crumb coat needs to be very thinly spread. If you put the fondant straight on top of the crumb coat it may not stick so I would put another layer on buttercream on top just before using the fondant.

quirkychick Sun 23-Dec-12 08:08:43

Go on YouTube and search for "mock cream": less sweet than buttercream, smoother and much yummier. Very simple video to follow. You need butter, icing sugar and a little water. Good luck with your cake.

heidihole Sun 23-Dec-12 08:05:10

Shameless bump!

heidihole Sat 22-Dec-12 23:09:50

Hello, I'm making a cake for the first time and have been ingesting info from Google but the answer to this eludes me.

I'm doing 2 sponge cakes, with jam in the middle and rolled icing (fondant) on the top and sides. I know I need to crumb coat the sponge and put in fridge before putting fondant on.

How do I make the buttercream, what is the ratio of butter to sugar. Is it icing sugar or caster sugar? thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now