Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Gas oven... how does it work??

(8 Posts)
TheGreatGatsby Sun 16-Dec-12 23:07:00

Help me please! I've recently moved to a house with a gas oven and it is my first time using one. Cooking oven dishes is okay, but baking has been a disaster!! Following recipe gas marks and timings, I have attempted a chocolate cake and some bread rolls, both simple stuff that I would make perfectly in an electric oven. Both came out with burnt bottoms and uncooked tops in this oven! So what's the deal, what am I missing? Please help!!

MammaTJ Mon 17-Dec-12 00:34:13

Gas mark 4-5 for sponges, 20 minutes or thereabouts.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 07:21:24

Sounds like it might have two burners, one on top and one on bottom and only one set is coming on.

Is there more than one setting on the dial?

I know my gas oven in my old flat (sob, I miss that oven) had 3 settings, one for bottom, one for top and one for both.

TheGreatGatsby Mon 17-Dec-12 09:47:40

There's no burner on the top, just the bottom, I'm guessing this is the problem! It's a brand new oven. Obviously not chosen by myself!

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 09:55:21

Does it not have a grill? How are you suppose to grill things?!?

Startail Mon 17-Dec-12 10:12:32

Are you sure it's fully pre heated, it will turn on full to pre heat and then reduce the flames.

TheGreatGatsby Mon 17-Dec-12 11:44:08

Oh yes it has a grill but that doesn't come on when it is in oven mode. It's either or.

So are you saying I should turn it on to full and then reduce to whatever gas mark I need?

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 20:15:17

I know I used to turn mine own to the highest setting for about a minute and then turn it down to what I wanted. Maybe that would help?

Do you have the make and maybe you can find a manual online?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now