Gas oven... how does it work??

(8 Posts)
TheGreatGatsby Sun 16-Dec-12 23:07:00

Help me please! I've recently moved to a house with a gas oven and it is my first time using one. Cooking oven dishes is okay, but baking has been a disaster!! Following recipe gas marks and timings, I have attempted a chocolate cake and some bread rolls, both simple stuff that I would make perfectly in an electric oven. Both came out with burnt bottoms and uncooked tops in this oven! So what's the deal, what am I missing? Please help!!

MammaTJ Mon 17-Dec-12 00:34:13

Gas mark 4-5 for sponges, 20 minutes or thereabouts.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 07:21:24

Sounds like it might have two burners, one on top and one on bottom and only one set is coming on.

Is there more than one setting on the dial?

I know my gas oven in my old flat (sob, I miss that oven) had 3 settings, one for bottom, one for top and one for both.

TheGreatGatsby Mon 17-Dec-12 09:47:40

There's no burner on the top, just the bottom, I'm guessing this is the problem! It's a brand new oven. Obviously not chosen by myself!

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 09:55:21

Does it not have a grill? How are you suppose to grill things?!?

Startail Mon 17-Dec-12 10:12:32

Are you sure it's fully pre heated, it will turn on full to pre heat and then reduce the flames.

TheGreatGatsby Mon 17-Dec-12 11:44:08

Oh yes it has a grill but that doesn't come on when it is in oven mode. It's either or.

So are you saying I should turn it on to full and then reduce to whatever gas mark I need?

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 20:15:17

I know I used to turn mine own to the highest setting for about a minute and then turn it down to what I wanted. Maybe that would help?

Do you have the make and maybe you can find a manual online?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now