Last minute Christmas cake recipe

(13 Posts)
hmo2b Thu 13-Dec-12 11:00:31

I usually make my own Christmas cake but what with one thing and another I haven't had time...yet. But it's my mission this weekend. Does anyone have a tried and tested last minute recipe that is moist, alcoholic and tasty without having to feed it for weeks? Or should I just go and buy one at this late stage?

Kneedeepindaisies Fri 14-Dec-12 20:46:12

Hi I am bumping this because I am desperately looking for the answer too!

cavell Fri 14-Dec-12 20:51:20

If you live near a Waitrose, the Christmas cake kits are pretty good (currently half price at £5). Made one about a week before Christmas last year and it tuned out well.

Tried a Delia "last minute Christmas mincemeat cake" a few years ago, but that wasn't too good in my experience.

hmotb Sat 15-Dec-12 14:10:31

Thank you...for bumping and responding!

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfBolly Sat 15-Dec-12 14:14:57

BBC good foodles website, search for the Hot Toddy Christmas Cake. blimin amazing! fruit needs soaking over night, but is ready to eat straight away. Cook it every year!

Dolallytats Sat 15-Dec-12 14:24:27

My mum used a Delia Smith recipe last year, I'll be doing it this year so although I can't vouch for the taste, mum said it was enjoyed by all!!

Preheat oven to Gas 3 (170)

450g good quality mincemeat (I make my own!!)
225g wholemeal flour (doesn't specify what type, my mum used ordinary white SR last year)
3 level teaspoons baking powder
150g dark brown sugar
150g softened butter or marg
175g mixed dried fruit
50g chopped walnuts
Grated zest of a small orange
Grated zest of a small lemon
3 eggs

Grease and line an 8in tin

Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat everything together. Spoon the mixture evenly into the tin. Bake for around 1 hour 30 mins or until the centre springs back when lightly touched. Let the cake cool in the tin for 30mins before turning out onto a wire rack. You can feed it with brandy if you want to and have time.
If decorating with marzipan and royal icing, treat as normal cake ie: when cool wrap and leave for a couple of days before putting on marzipan. Leave for a couple of days again before icing.

HTH!!

Waswondering Sat 15-Dec-12 18:43:39

Nigella's chocolate Christmas cake - everyone hesitates "chocolate ... in a Christmas cake, ummm ..." but it's amazing. You boil the fruits up in Tia Maria, cocoa, orange juice and so on, then bake - it's sooooooooo yum.

Can be eaten immediately and doesn't need decorating.

Will find link ....

Waswondering Sat 15-Dec-12 18:47:26
UptoapointLordCopper Sat 15-Dec-12 18:56:42

I made Dan Lepard's caramel christmas cake before. It's easy and very very yummy.

tassisssss Sun 16-Dec-12 14:35:42

I also do the nigella one, mostly as it doesn't need to be made in advance!

And it's amazing.

I do actually make it at other points in the year too.

hmotb Sun 16-Dec-12 21:11:49

Thanks so much everyone. I want to try them all!

RadioSilence Sun 23-Dec-12 19:02:30

I am quite late to this but this is ready to eat right away and is delicious.

The Best Ever Christmas Cake

Hands-on time: 25min plus soaking; cooking time: around 31/2hr; cuts into 16 slices

250g (9oz) each plump raisins and sultanas
100g (31/2oz) dried cranberries or blueberries
200g (7oz) natural glace cherries, halved
200ml (7fl oz) vanilla vodka - we used Absolut (from Tesco and Waitrose)
150g (5oz) roasted Marcona almonds (£1.99 from Waitrose)
200g (7oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
200g (7oz) unrefined dark muscovado sugar
4 medium organic eggs, beaten
100g (31/2oz) plain flour

1 Put the raisins, sultanas, dried cranberries and cherries in a large bowl. Add the vodka and stir well. Cover and leave to soak for 2-3hr or overnight.

2 Grease and line the base and sides of a 20.5cm (8in) round tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan) mark 2. Put the almonds in a food processor and blend lightly until coarsely chopped. Tip out 75g (3oz) and blend the remainder until ground.

3 Put the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with a handheld electric whisk for 2-3min until light and creamy. Gradually whisk in the beaten eggs, adding a little of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle. Stir in the ground and chopped nuts and flour.

4 Tip the soaked fruit mixture into the bowl with any unabsorbed liqueur. Mix well, then spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 31/2hr or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin, then remove and wrap in a double thickness of foil until ready to decorate.

380cals, 17g fat (of which 8g saturates), 49g carbs, 13g added sugar per serving

amistillsexy Sun 23-Dec-12 19:09:17

I've just taken mine out of the oven...Nigellas chocolate one, but with a mix of tinned cherries, super large raisins and chopped apricots instead of the prunes, as I'd run out of prunes.
It smells fantastic. I've made it for years, and its always good. Especially with lots of marzipan. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now