Any ideas for a birthday cake for a 13 year old girl please.

(27 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Wed 14-Nov-12 14:44:34

When DD was younger I made various novelty cakes for her birthday (not brilliant but she loved them!).

The last couple of years they've been less novelty and more of a "pile on lots of DDs favourites" which has also gone down equally as well eg. last year was choc sponge, choc butter icing and decorated with Maltesers, chopped up fudge, choc buttons, Matchmakers etc.

Wondered if anyone had any simple but effective cake ideas please. I haven't got masses of time beforehand so the easier the better

Thanks

sausagesandwich34 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:20:47

baked alaska

if you use a shop bought sponge flan case as the base, put the ice cream into a pudding basin to form the shape before tipping it in to the flan case and then cover in italian meringue

easy as pie

ggirl Tue 04-Dec-12 22:10:58

where can you buy them already assembled?

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Tue 04-Dec-12 22:00:43

Do you have a costco there? If so do they have frozen profiteroles? Ours does and they are not that expensive. Assembly was easy, I made butterscotch sauce and glued the bottom layer to a plate and then built it. I just dunked a puff in the sauce and glued it to the one below and built it into a tower. I have a pic if you want. I didn't use parchment or anything, just lots of hard toffee sauce.

helpyourself Tue 04-Dec-12 21:47:54

ggirl it's the assembling that's tricky with croquembouche. By the time you'd paid for enough profiteroles it would be cheaper to buy one ready assembled.

helpyourself Tue 04-Dec-12 21:45:56

You can make croquembouche! It's easier than you'd think. Just loads of baking parchment, so they don't stick. It's a sticky business gluing them together, definitely a winter activity.
Teen birthday cake, I do three traybakes- brownies, rice crispies, rocky road, then cut up, 'tower them up' sprinkle with marshmallows etc and stick sparklers and candles in.

ggirl Tue 04-Dec-12 20:46:21

can you buy a croquembouche? I am hopeless in the kitchen but I know my dh would love one for his 50th !
ot could i get away with buying the profiteroles?

Does she like profiteroles? I made a croquembouche for my choux pastry loving 12 yr old for his birthday and it was very well received.

Himalaya Fri 16-Nov-12 19:47:45
racingheart Fri 16-Nov-12 19:44:15

Tell me how it looks Norbert. I've just ordered some of those for a massive 50th birthday cake I'm making later in the year.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 16-Nov-12 15:38:55

The more I think about the Baked Alaska the more I'm tempted.

I did buy one of those indoor cake-sparkler-fountain things thinking that the impressive indoor fireworks would detract from any crapness on the cake-front.

RibenaFiend Fri 16-Nov-12 15:08:49

<hmm> unclear aren't I?! I meant to cook the Italian meringue with a blowtorch (thin layer of meringue!)

RibenaFiend Fri 16-Nov-12 15:06:31

Racing that's genius! But instead. I'd make Italian meringue and then cook
blowtorch the crap outta it!!!

racingheart Fri 16-Nov-12 14:48:41

You could always do a cheat version of baked alaska - no wow factor of ice cream coming out of the oven, but still delicious:

Make sponge cake. Wash tin. Pre cook meringue in same tin so it's same size

scoop icecream into the middle. Put meringue on top. If meringue crumbles just turn it into an on-purpose mix of meringue, chocolate shavings, popping candy etc.

They'll eat it.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 15-Nov-12 22:23:26

Mine always sink in the middle which is why I managed a swimming pool cake!

elvisaintdead Thu 15-Nov-12 22:12:06

lol - I have attempted a vicky sponge a couple of times bu they are always flat as a pancake so now I get other talented folk to make it for me and I pay them!! hee hee

NorbertDentressangle Thu 15-Nov-12 21:53:22

Elvis, I did a swimming pool cake for DD when she was about 8 -it looked great when I made it (blue jelly for the water, little swimmers made from fondant icing etc). Trouble is by the time it was the party the 'swimmers' had started to dissolve in the 'water'. It looked like a horrific acid bath nightmare!

elvisaintdead Thu 15-Nov-12 21:24:48

Recent creations among 13 yr old DSD friends have included cake pops (purple and pink however you could decorate them to your DD taste I guess), cakes shaped like a converse boot, a purple guitar and a swimming pool (those reflected the particular interests of those girls) and one was a phot of the girl and her best friends with all kinds of sweets round it like a sweetie photo frame. None were my creations, I can't bake for $h1t but she has freinds with creative Mums!!

ggirl Thu 15-Nov-12 20:50:59

mobile phone?

massive cupcake?

NorbertDentressangle Thu 15-Nov-12 20:45:07

I'm still tempted by the Baked Alaska but I fear it all going horribly wrong. How forgiving are groups of 13 year old girls if I cock it up? confused

Pink skulls are a no I'm afraid. She doesn't like skulls and is not too keen on pink either.

BTW I got really excited seeing a pic on here as I forgot you could do that in some subject areas! [easily amused emoticon]

nooo...my very first photo link didn't work!!

Oooh, a skull cake would be brilliant!

Ruprekt Thu 15-Nov-12 18:51:05

Apparently pink skulls are all the rage!! hmm

Why not get some cake toppers and make cupcake tower?

Get on Pinterest and search for birthday cakes - some truly spectacular cakes on there!

racingheart Thu 15-Nov-12 18:47:04

My mum says bake the cake base first and don't just let it cool, stick it in the freezer with the ice cream. Then get your oven very very hot. Choose a meringue recipe that works in a hot oven (they are either hot for a few mins or slow bake on almost cold. Make sure your ice cream is completely covered and sealed by the meringue mix, then put the lot back in the freezer, so the uncooked meringue also gets cold. Five mins before you want to serve it, whack it in the very hot oven.

When it comes out, it's ready to eat straight away, just cover it in popping candy, stick in the sparklers and you're done.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 15-Nov-12 17:13:18

oooh now that sounds like something that could go down well although aren't they notoriously difficult to get right ie. without ending up with a sloppy mess?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now