Great British Bake Off / Mary Berry recipe try out.

(6 Posts)
Eggrules Tue 25-Sep-12 19:59:53

Today has been 'orrible. Started off with a lorry driving through a puddle and soaking me and it just got worse. To cheer ourselves up, we made Mary Berry Fork Biscuits. Mary Berry National Treasure (aka MBNT) you are a star. They were really the easiest yet tastiest biscuits I have ever made - only 2 left for DS's packed lunch. Please try them:

100g (4oz) butter, softened
50g (2oz) caster sugar
150g (5oz) self-raising flour

Step One
Preheat the oven to 180°C /fan 160°C/ gas 4. Lightly butter the baking trays.

Step Two
Measure the butter into a bowl and beat to soften. Gradually beat in the sugar and then the flour. Bring the mixture together with your hands to form a dough. Form the dough into 16 balls about the size of a walnut and place spaced well apart on the prepared baking trays. Dip a fork in a little water and use this to flatten the biscuits.

Step Three
Bake in the preheated oven for 15/20 minutes until a very pale golden. Lift off the baking tray and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.

I don't think I am up to the same standards as the contestants. Next up MBNT scones

Any other recommendations.

Eggrules Tue 25-Sep-12 20:18:55

In true Mumsnetter ratings style I rate MBNT Fork Biscuits as:

Ease of finding ingredients 10
Ease of cooking10
Success with kids10
Success with adults 10
Overall Mark 10

Handy hint - I cooked for 16 mins in a combi/microwave and they were perfect. We added a chocolate button to the second batch.

I love MBNT recipes. Her poppyseed and lemon tray bake is delicious.

Will get the kids to make these biscuits when they are bored.

giraffesCantGoGuisingAsZebras Sun 21-Oct-12 23:20:29

oops just posted a new thread on this. nettospookerstar bought me tickets to see paul and mary on friday - it was great!

Going to try the 8 stranded plait loaf thingy...except perhaps with less than 8 strands! wink

FestiveFannyFarts Sat 01-Dec-12 19:34:55

I made the chess cake from the GBBO book and apart from wobbly piping it was great.

LadyMercy Mon 03-Dec-12 17:03:27

I made the treacle tart with the lattice top the other week. It tasted great and I was very proud of myself.

Am plucking up the courage to try the 8 strand loaf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now