Cake Decorating

(6 Posts)
PetersMummy Tue 11-Sep-12 08:44:16

Hello,

I'm new to this website so please bare with me!

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on cake decorating please? Specifically, the difference between Regal-ice, fondant, gumpaste etc and what is best to use?

Thank you in advance!

sgibbo Tue 11-Sep-12 11:23:30

Hi PetersMummy,

Regal Ice and Fondant are fairly similar one is just the American word for it. It can be used to cover cakes etc.

Gumpaste is used for making things out of like flowers or little figurines etc

Hope this helps

Melpomene Mon 17-Sep-12 18:37:01

Regal ice is the same as what most people would call fondant, also known as sugarpaste - you can roll it out with a rolling pin and then cover a cake with it (put on a layer of marzipan or buttercream first). Or you can make models, figures or decorations with it (almost like plasticine!)

Gumpaste as mentioned above is for decorations - it dries hard and although technically edible doesn't taste particularly good.

If you are a beginner this site is good for tips: www.wilton.com/decorating/

VikingVagine Mon 01-Oct-12 19:51:50

Come on over to the baking topic (in the feed the world section), there's a whole thread on sugarcraft.

YouSmegHead Sat 13-Oct-12 19:14:59

The perfect place to ask my burning question...I've heard of marshmallow icing has anyone tried it?

franklin0 Sat 27-Oct-12 08:30:55

you can do the cake decoration with honey,strawbery,pineapple and jam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now