Food or baby gifts?

(9 Posts)
User1987654 Tue 22-Nov-16 00:49:51

I want to start an online gift delivery business.

I like the idea of selling food such as chocolate and sweets or food hampers. But not sure if people still buy food baskets? There seems to be a lot of retro type sweet businesses online, so wouldn't want to do retro sweets.

New born baby gifts interests me as well but worried the market is too saturated.

What do you think of these ideas?

SpotTheDuck Tue 22-Nov-16 00:54:39

They're both very very crowded markets, with a lot of "big names" involved. So you're going to need either a lot of start up capital for advertising or something unusual to offer that gets you word of mouth.

Astro55 Tue 22-Nov-16 00:54:44

Most food hampers have stuff you wouldn't normally buy

It would be nice if you could choose say - usual adds shop - nice cheese wisky - cracker - normal stuff that could go into a basket for delivery - wish they'd catch up!

User1987654 Tue 22-Nov-16 11:00:11

I know what you mean Astro. I think that's a very good idea. Also, I hate how they are all standard as in offering chunty. Not everyone likes it and it is a waste to be paying for something, they might not eat.

Good point Spot, will definately need to go with unusual as they all kind of all look the same.

Thank you guys smile

NapQueen Tue 22-Nov-16 11:02:38

Could you offer a set item basket? So eg a foody one could be a 6 item/12 item/18 item/24 item baskets. Then a long list of items so they can mix and match?

I hate seeing "done" hampers that normally have about a third stuff I wouldnt choose.

Similarly a new baby basket done by item.

User1987654 Tue 22-Nov-16 15:23:11

I love that idea Nap! Most definately take it on board. Thank you very much smile

Inthenick Wed 23-Nov-16 09:39:45

I think both are very saturated and I see so many 'homemade' looking versions of both on Facebook selling sites I think half the mums in the country are trying to set up the same.

My only idea would be to look at food based or baby based subscriptions. Similar to the cider or craft beer subscriptions. Choose trendy niche products like each month a different olive oil from Italy delivery or for hot sauce fanatics source a hot sauce a month thing. The bulk of you Le business would be Christmas.

The baby idea would be maybe a suitable developmental toy delivered each month for a year. I could see people liking that idea as a gift. Or a baby book each month suitable for their age and progress. You could add cute notes on baby's development etc.

EssentialHummus Wed 23-Nov-16 09:53:58

The baby idea would be maybe a suitable developmental toy delivered each month for a year. I could see people liking that idea as a gift. Or a baby book each month suitable for their age and progress. You could add cute notes on baby's development etc.

I really like this idea, I'd go for that.

And yes, a hamper where you can choose a hamper size and contents for a fixed fee would be great!

User1987654 Wed 23-Nov-16 15:43:35

That actually is a very good idea, inthenick. Thank you so much. I agree Essential, both those ideas are great. The help I have had from you ladies has been amazing! flowers I have got a lot of things to think about now! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now