Spreading the word via Mumsnet..

(12 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 16-Sep-16 09:44:57

We are planning a startup. The product will be useful to a small number of Mumsnetters.. But it is a very small and niche market.

Looking through the threads I have identified a few people who could use the product.. However the site clearly says that messaging is not to be used for marketing etc. And I obviously have no wish to ignore such a rule and upset the admin team.

Does anyone know how to square this one?

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 16-Sep-16 09:49:31

Pay to advertise. Like other people.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 16-Sep-16 10:09:18

Advertising works when you have large numbers.
We know the market is very small compared to the UK population. As in four zeros of a percent!!!
A quarter page advert in a professional mag is circa £6000.. Split that out across the size of the market and advertising would put the operation costs up to the point where the price point is prohibitive.

ImperialBlether Fri 16-Sep-16 10:13:35

Does your product/service rely on the geography of the purchaser?

How would someone else (an established company) reach your target audience?

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 16-Sep-16 10:16:52

How to square this one = do not message individual Mumsnetters on Mumsnet and do not spam the boards.

Simple.

EssentialHummus Fri 16-Sep-16 10:17:31

Your niche market must congregate somewhere, online or otherwise. It is geography, age, education level, a particular interest, a shared life experience, common needs?

If your advertising plan involves reaching out to individuals one by one, that doesn't sound right, IMO.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 16-Sep-16 10:23:58

Well either lookup other ways to advertise ;there's loads) or accept that either your business isn't viable or you're not up to running the business.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Fri 16-Sep-16 10:26:34

Go talk to MNHQ!

There are different ways to advertise on here, and I think the cheapest (advertising thread) is around £30.

But I'm sure they'll be happy to talk you through it.

If your idea of finding custom for your 'business' is to message people on forums then you are onto a serious loser.

That is no way to run a business.

Advertise like everyone else, there are plenty of avenues. You just need to find them

DixieWishbone Thu 29-Sep-16 02:03:12

Why don't you start a thread in 'Site Stuff' asking for the Mumsnet advertising person to contact you? Or you could report this thread and ask the person who responds to put you in touch with the right person.

YabuDabbaDoo Thu 29-Sep-16 02:07:58

Consider Mumsnet local?

hutchblue Sat 26-Nov-16 18:54:45

Facebook Ads and target the Mumsnet page?
Then choose other variables to make sure you get the 0.0004% of people you want to reach...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now