Forest School x Confidence Camp - much call??

(1 Post)
AnnaAli Tue 23-Aug-16 17:55:01

Hi guys,

Please forgive this being my first post and it being a begging one, but I'm sure it will be the start of a great relationship - and I'm sure you'll see why this was the only place to ask for opinions on this particular matter...

My friend and I have hopefully secured access to a pretty cool bit of woodland with a cabin and want to run something from there, but we're struggling to work out exactly what. She's a qualified Forest School practitioner (and tree surgeon) and I'm an ex-journalist who previously worked a lot with children and teenagers. We are late-20s/early 30s and mostly spend our spare time doing ridiculous projects like making cob pizza ovens and trying to learn to scythe. Anything outdoors, basically.

There is quite a lot of provision for Forest Schools around here (Devon) and we were trying to think about how we could provide something a little different. We were thinking about children who are not very confident and would not (for example) be comfortable joining in a sports club on a Saturday morning. Or I'm sure there are myriad other reasons why a child might want to simply come and have safe but free-ranging access to a bit of wilderness. It'd be small groups and very much child-led, so no set 'activities' as such, but we were thinking of setting a general aim for each session, whether it be insect identification, den building or navigation. if they get carried away doing something else, so be it - the emphasis would be on it simply being a positive experience more than a strictly educational thing.

I guess it's hard to explain without showing the site, but it's basically like some sort of Famous Five-style secret spot (but with a view) that makes you feel totally cocooned and safe and we really feel it would be wonderful to share it - and our enthusiasm and various skills - with youngsters.

Reading that back, it sounds like we have more of a plan than we really do! I would really welcome any comments/input on what issues you face and which services you wish were out there for your child. I should also add that my husband is a counsellor who works in child and adolescent mental health, so there is that capacity potentially there too.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for reading and I hope to hear some of your responses.

Anna

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now