What are your thoughts on non-alcoholic prosecco?

(39 Posts)
Excusemyfrench Wed 03-Aug-16 09:19:10

Hello!

Im looking into starting a business of importing and distributing non alcoholic prosecco in the UK and was wondering what the consensus of opinion was?

Pregnant ladies does that sound appealing to you?

People who do not drink (teetotal- religious beliefs, designated drivers etc) how about you, does it sound like something you would try or would you rather stick to your usual soft drinks?

Thank you very much for your opinions!

allegretto Wed 03-Aug-16 09:20:22

I think it would depend on the taste. I might drink it (or I might have done when I was pregnant) as I love prosecco but then, it's not very alcoholic anyway is it?

WunWun Wed 03-Aug-16 09:21:03

I drink perhaps 0-3 units a week. This doesn't appeal to me at all. If I wasn't going to drink alcohol it isn't a taste that would appeal to me.

WunWun Wed 03-Aug-16 09:21:40

I like alcoholic prosecco though.

Queenbean Wed 03-Aug-16 09:21:58

If it tasted the same as proper prosecco then definitely!

However, if it just tastes like fizzy grape juice then absolutely no way

hmcAsWas Wed 03-Aug-16 09:22:08

I'm thinking - no thank you

Excusemyfrench Wed 03-Aug-16 09:24:26

Sorry I should have said in my original post it is based on the idea that it would taste just like a nice 'normal' prosecco- minus the alcohol.

Thank you for your opinions so far all the feedback is really great!

MadHattersWineParty Wed 03-Aug-16 09:24:27

Hmm, the non-alcoholic wine on the market now tastes rank so it would have to really taste like Prosecco, IYSWIM. If it was just like schloer with a fancier label then no way.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 03-Aug-16 09:25:25

I would buy it, if it tastes like the proper stuff.

I (try and) have days off alcohol a week and a month every now and then. When I have a craving for a drink I drink Alcohol free beer which satisfies the craving, so I'd definitely try it with alcohol free prosecco.

FoxesOnSocks Wed 03-Aug-16 09:26:41

I'd like something non alcoholic that you can pop the cork on.

bombayflambe Wed 03-Aug-16 09:35:07

There are no non-alcoholic drinks which taste the same: they can replicate all the original flavours but the twang is missing.
That said, I do buy the Schloer Celebration in the corked bottle to take to parties or as a hostess gift: presumably non-alcoholic prosecco will be like this? If it's cheaper there is a ready made market for you.

Eyedrophell Wed 03-Aug-16 09:36:43

I would. Sainsburys do a very good non alcoholic sparking dry wine, that tastes almost as good as the real thing.

Excusemyfrench Wed 03-Aug-16 09:40:59

Thank you all this is brilliant feedback, its really helpful!

Keep it comingsmile

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Aug-16 09:41:17

I agree. IN my (extensive!) experience of non-alcohol version of alcoholic drinks, they never ever work. Wine, I think, is the very worst offender

I am sceptical you can make one I'd like to drink but if you can then I'd buy it. You'd have to convince me first (small sample maybe)

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Aug-16 09:43:05

Eyedrop I have tried that many times and I find it eye-wateringly sweet and hence undrinkable

The only way I can tolerate a non-alcoholic wine is as a spritzer with LOTS of ice and soda. I'd rather have a sparkling water though!

BarbaraofSeville Wed 03-Aug-16 09:48:39

Is it absolutely alcohol free? Some v low alcohol stuff has 0.5% alcohol in it, so would still be no good for anyone who is alcohol free for religious reasons.

I might try it if it tasted good (similar to the real thing, not sweet and not artificial) and the price was right (it would have to be cheaper than actual prosecco) because I don't drink soft drinks so if I am not drinking am often a bit stuck and keep meaning to try low alcohol beer.

Eyedrophell Wed 03-Aug-16 09:50:52

Bitoutofpractice - didn't find it sweet at all (although not had any for a year or so), was going to buy some today so fingers crossed it's as I remember. Odd how tastes are so different. Love blue becks though so have that as a fall back!

Eebahgum Wed 03-Aug-16 09:54:56

If it tastes like proper prosecco I'd buy it. Often non alcoholic imitations don't quite hit the mark. I'm a drinker but am thinking if I go for an evening at a friends house but am driving.

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Wed 03-Aug-16 10:00:53

I'm in recovery and wouldn't drink it (it's like a gateway to real alcohol), and as a PP said, it'll naturally have a low alcohol content anyway, most likely. So that's out for religious non drinkers and anyone with liver disease.

My main concern is that it just wouldn't taste nice. Alcohol free wine is FOUL.

DerelictMyBalls Wed 03-Aug-16 10:17:34

I would be interested in alcohol-free prosecco if:

1) It truly was alcohol-free, not just low alcohol
2) It wasn't ridiculously expensive
3) It tasted good: not too sweet, not too dry

It would be nice to pop a cork to celebrate something, or to drink something posh at a party. Also good for disguising the fact that you're not drinking (people can be such frightful bores about it).

ladymarymoo Wed 03-Aug-16 10:22:20

I wouldn't pay a lot for it so I think that you have your work cut out with making a profit tbh,

When I was pregnant I enjoyed this if it was very cold, its only £2.50 www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-alcohol-free-sparkling-wine-75cl?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=PqnRNAXTDxynwdp%2FopSJRimNg1E4dv71cxCZD470PjMp070BNLrl8p4K1ysrm9CI62OhApGnBJElFHnjx9wzY9%2BTSNpGFukBYs3p14Dv0eN5B1gSvP7W1hPZagkErp2uiHtHnq%2Fl8DByAE%2B2c6BridwC2pO7EKZfPquLKgEnIoY%3D&ddkey=http%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fsainsburys-alcohol-free-sparkling-wine-75cl

ladymarymoo Wed 03-Aug-16 10:23:40

Seriously now I want a glass of fizz at 1023am!!!! (I won't)

CharminglyGawky Wed 03-Aug-16 10:34:53

I wouldn't, I love prosecco and drinking fake stuff would just remind me that I can't have the real stuff.

Much like I have not had steak since I've been pregnant. I like my steak rare and know that if I was to have a well done steak it would just be a disappointment and I'd rather not have any at all than have something that is almost, but not quite what I actually wanted. Especially if it's something I love!

Excusemyfrench Wed 03-Aug-16 12:58:20

Thank you all very much, some interesting points have been brought to my attention.
If this venture does go forward I might ask some of you to give me their opinion with some sampling ! smile

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 03-Aug-16 13:05:37

I don't drink. It wouldn't appeal to me. I'd rather have a Belvoir elderflower pressee. If I'm tasting booze I want the alcohol. Otherwise I'd rather have something else. like ribena It would never occur to me to buy non-alcoholic booze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now