Vegetarian dog treat and chew boxes - will this work? What do you think?

(12 Posts)
fourquenelles Sat 02-Jul-16 22:33:42

I am at the very early stages of thinking about a run from home business supplying dog treat/chew boxes either individual orders or by monthly subscription. There are several companies out there that do this but none I have come across specifically vegetarian/vegan.
All treats would be sourced from licensed DEFRA approved wholesalers and each box would be tailored to the dog recipient (using an on line ordering form). A small percentage of each sale would go to a rescue.
I was thinking of charging around £30 a box which for a large breed for example would contain about 15 items.
I am going vegetarian/vegan as my USP for 2 reasons - 1. there are owners out there who have their dogs on this sort of diet and 2. poorly dogs and those in recovery, benefit from a no meat diet temporarily.
What do you think? Is this workable?

Whatslovegottodo Sat 02-Jul-16 22:43:06

I would buy one for my meat allergic dog would be a change from salmon treats 😊

fourquenelles Sat 02-Jul-16 22:56:39

Thank you Whatslove. Hadn't thought of dogs with allergies. flowers

Breadandruses Sat 02-Jul-16 23:04:12

My dog was allergic to certain meats (basically everything except chicken and rabbit) so a tasty meat-free product would have been great.

Grumpysfirstwife Sat 02-Jul-16 23:05:29

It sounds good but it's not something I would use.

I don't give treats at all to my dogs because I'm mean because they are prone to raiding the bins when I'm not looking weight gain.
But I do know someone who feeds her dogs a vegetarian diet (Not a medical reason, she's vegetarian so feeds them the same diet. I've lectured her about her dogs really needing meat). She might be interested in something like that.

I wouldn't advertise them as being suitable for dogs on a weight loss diet because giving treats is usually the reason they're on a diet in the first place. Otherwise give it a try. Good luck.

MilesHuntsWig Sat 02-Jul-16 23:06:17

Could you link up with a local vet or something to get some professional advice. I like the idea, maybe see if a vegan/veggie charity would be happy to help with some market research (form on website or similar?). Good luck!

fourquenelles Sat 02-Jul-16 23:06:28

Thank you Bread looks like I might be doing the right thing so far.

villainousbroodmare Sat 02-Jul-16 23:12:34

Might work in UK. Out of interest, what is the basis for your second claim?

"2. poorly dogs and those in recovery, benefit from a no meat diet temporarily."

fourquenelles Sat 02-Jul-16 23:12:47

Thanks for the feedback and advice Grumpy and Miles.

fourquenelles Sat 02-Jul-16 23:18:01

villian only that my vet gave me this advice when my own dogs have had gastric problems. Tbh I haven't done more research than that but like Miles suggested I will talk to my vet and my vet nurse friend and it would be good to have some empirical evidence.

villainousbroodmare Sat 02-Jul-16 23:30:37

I think it could definitely work, but I'm wary of banging the veggie/vegan drum too much as dogs do absolutely need meat in their daily main diet.

fourquenelles Sun 03-Jul-16 10:16:49

Thanks villain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now