some views from you townies

(11 Posts)
annedowninthecountry Tue 31-May-16 14:13:59

I have a lovely pony who is outgrown and redundant and I am looking for something to do with him. Can I canvas your opinions on pony parties, or a flower pony at a wedding (wicker panniers which can contain flowers, favours or champagne) or what do you think? Please lots of non horsey people, give me your views? I am an instructor and could do some teaching on him but I was thinking of something a bit more exciting than that.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 31-May-16 14:20:22

I think you might regret pony parties. 20 shrieking under-10s wanting to climb all over your beloved pony, jabbing him in the mouth, quarrelling over whose turn it is?

annedowninthecountry Tue 31-May-16 15:02:22

constructive suggestions please

honeysucklejasmine Tue 31-May-16 15:04:50

I agree with manatee regarding kids parties.

Maybe you could a special needs school or charity, teach some of the kids horse care etc?

monkeywithacowface Tue 31-May-16 15:08:08

Would you consider something more focused on working with special needs children? Good instructors that will work 1:1 are like gold dust also there Equine therapy is very popular now and may be a bit more rewarding.

Babettescat Tue 31-May-16 15:12:09

There is nothing unconstructive about mantees comments. It's a very reasonable and legitimate point to raise about presumably your beloved pet.

Chippednailvarnishing Tue 31-May-16 15:17:28

"you townies"

Charming.

Manatee is right, hiring animals out to crowds of kids who may or may not behave isn't fair on the animals.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 31-May-16 15:43:27

You might not think it a constructive comment, OP, but I have spent a reasonable amount of time with ponies and I have also spent a reasonable amount of time with 'townie' children, ie children who don't know how to behave around animals. I would be very careful indeed about mixing the two unless you either don't give a shit about your pony (which doesn't sound the case at all) or else are able to supervise extremely closely.

Some form of party entertainment involving rides on a pony and trap might at least put you in a position to be always in control of the pony - though I don't know if your pony is familiar with this kind of work and of course a pony and trap isn't very realistic for the size of most people's gardens. I dunno - learn about ponies as part of PHSE in primary schools? Sounds no dafter than some of the other stuff I hear about kids doing for PHSE.

How big is the pony? How bombproof is he? What kind of work does he do/enjoy?

annedowninthecountry Tue 31-May-16 16:54:27

Pony is 12.2hh and a Welsh Section B, he is adorable to look at. He is not broken to harness so a trap is not an option.

annedowninthecountry Tue 31-May-16 16:56:09

I am looking for ideas, I am not being prescriptive and would never subject my pony to rough or intolerant handling. And the comment "townies" was very much tongue in cheek!

annedowninthecountry Wed 01-Jun-16 08:34:38

What do people think about the wedding idea? I have a friend who is an Events Manager at a wedding venue and she said has seen the use of small ponies as flower ponies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now