Children's clothes

(19 Posts)
Ticks84 Sun 29-May-16 15:14:02

Hi everyone,
I have a weekend market stall on s very busy street and I sell organic and slightly boutiquey style clothes, very good quality.
My problem is the stall. People have the thought that stalls should be cheap rubbish. My t shirts for instance range from £16-24. I'm trying to get across the point that I'm good quality. But from a market stall that is very difficult.
I would say I'm in the right place as the footfall is amazing! And most people are pregnant, pushing buggies or have small children on scooters or bikes.
There is a mixture of high end and cheap clothes shops so I am in the middle which makes me think it must be the stall and I have had a few customers tell me they would buy if I was a shop.
But a shop in this area is 60-90k rent whereas my stall is £50 a day. I just cannot take the jump in rent.
The shops here are very busy and people do spend the money, but last year I turned over 30k.
How do I convey that my stall is full of good quality nice things? and encourage the thousands of people who walk down the street every day to come in? What would encourage you into a stall? Would you have issues buying from a stall?
Any feedback or ideas would be amazing!

LilySnape Sun 29-May-16 15:18:05

Try labelling the clothes more clearly ? id just quit the stall and sell on etsy or eBay and Amazon market stall doesn't generally convey quailty unfortunately have you tried fairs and convention's to sell and advertise ?

KittiesInsane Sun 29-May-16 15:22:37

Do you hand out business cards with an option to buy the clothes online? I'd be unlikely to have enough cash handy for clothes and possibly unwilling to hand over my credit card for a market stall, but happy to browse and buy them later.

Ticks84 Sun 29-May-16 15:37:55

I hand out business cards, flyers with discount codes. I must have handed out 5,000 flyers I get no cross over from them. My website is doing ok. A lot better this year than last. I have someone I pay to do all my social media and a newsletter goes out each month. I'm not allowed to sell on eBay or Amazon. These are good brands that sell in John Lewis, selfridges and even harrods. I do quite a few up market Christmas fairs which I do ok with

Mrsfancyfanjango Sun 29-May-16 17:30:16

I wouldn't buy decent clothes, to be honest I'd assume they were knock offs and not bother even looking at the price! Could you stick to fully online?

Mrsfancyfanjango Sun 29-May-16 17:30:32

Wouldn't buy decent clothes at a market that should say!

LilySnape Sun 29-May-16 18:23:15

Do you make these clothes yourself whats the brand called ? and if they sell in upmarket places like JL why are you bothering trying to flog them down the market confused

SaveSomeSpendSome Sun 29-May-16 18:29:55

Why cant you sell on ebay or amazon. I think those sites are what you need!

Could you rent a section of a shop that is already an established business?

I would spend a fair bit of money promoting your website and encourage customers to buy from you online.

Are you cheaper than the same thing in John Lewis?

Ticks84 Sun 29-May-16 19:07:23

Online is way too difficult. It's so hard to get anywhere near the top of Google, the big companies spend thousands. It's not a flogging kind of market. The stall next to me sells coats for £200+ it's an upmarket market. A lot of the brands do not allow discounting. John Lewis have a choice of 20 items and the nearest one is Sloane Square which is 20 minutes away, I have a much bigger selection.

Ticks84 Sun 29-May-16 19:08:09

No I don't make them myself, they are established brands

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 29-May-16 19:14:02

I don't shop at market stalls, it just doesn't cross my mind to stop and look as I guess I see them as cheap. (Food market is a different kettle of fish). I buy a lot of baby clothes from Instagram, and that's free! Much less than £50 a day smile

Ticks84 Sun 29-May-16 19:29:08

That's what I find fascinating... The stall the other side sells £5/£6 loaves of bread the queues are huge!

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 29-May-16 19:41:01

You should do a couple of online marketing courses (Instagram for business type things on skillshare.com , for example), might give you some more knowledge to try online selling. There are so many free resources out there for businesses.

Ticks84 Sun 29-May-16 19:43:37

I'm on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook already. I think Instagram is the best for me

imsorryiasked Sun 29-May-16 22:34:33

Does the £200 coat stall sell anything? If they do then it may be how your stall looks and the impression it gives, rather than the fact it is a stall. How sites it compare to your online store front in terms of aspiration etc?

LilySnape Sun 29-May-16 23:42:10

use hashtags on Instagram loads and loads of hashtags to get your brand established also what is this brand of clothing ? i asked before and you didn't answer also there was a £200 coat thread the other day that was hmm

NewBallsPlease00 Sun 29-May-16 23:46:26

Sell to local boutiques so your name gets noticed then do etsy as people look to repeat purchase etc

Ticks84 Mon 30-May-16 07:08:46

I sell brands like tootsa Macginty, Frugi, Kite, pixie Dixie, pigeon, boys and girls, blade and rose, piccalilly. My business is called the little legs company. I've had a problem with the website so it's gone back to an old version for the weekend.,

Ticks84 Mon 30-May-16 07:10:40

The £200 coat stall is packing up, but to be honest she plays at it, opens up when she feels like it, so I always have her customers asking where she is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now