New Date Night Subscription Box Idea

(23 Posts)
JustUsBox Wed 18-May-16 01:18:16

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of starting a new business offering a date night subscription box to help couples reconnect and spend some quality time together.

I'm a full time working Mum of 3 so I have to be pretty sure the idea will work before I invest further time and money! So, I've created a pre-launch page at www.justusbox.com and a FB page at www.facebook.com/JustUsBox to promote it and am offering a competition to win a stargazing date night box to sign-ups.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this and if you have any help or suggestions to improve the site or promote the business?? grin

Thanks so much for your help,
Charlie

mrskitty15 Wed 18-May-16 13:15:44

Hello,

I think that is a really cool idea! I do feel it would depend on the pricing as to whether it would work?

I would quite like it but as we are on a limited income due to me being in the process of starting my own Graphic Design business it would definitely come down to affordability as it would be a luxury not a necessity.

Good luck with it smile

HallowedMimic Wed 18-May-16 13:23:03

What's in the box?

BikeRunSki Wed 18-May-16 13:29:58

What's in the box?
What will it cost?

JustUsBox Wed 18-May-16 14:33:24

Wow, thanks for your replies everyone grin.

As we're in pre-launch not everything is 100% confirmed yet, plus we like it to be a surprise!

For the stargazing box we're looking at 4-5 items (possibly including flashlight, binoculars, thermos flask, blankets, hot chocolate, astrology book, star charts etc) plus activities and challenges to keep things extra fun wink! Any other ideas are very welcome...

Cost - again, not 100% confirmed but we're looking at £35ish which would reduce for longer subscriptions so £30ish for 12 month subscriptions.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Charlie

TeaBelle Wed 18-May-16 14:40:46

If possible I would think you may get more custom if you offered 2 levels of box. So a luxury and a more affordable option at £15ish per month. Would definitley be something I would be tempted by smile

luckiestgirl Wed 18-May-16 14:52:58

£30 per month? Or £30 one off payment?

I love this idea. I'm in a very happy marriage but would still love this- it kind of forces you to have a date night, and gives you a good idea for each one. That's right isn't it? Each month will be a different activity?

YouMakeMyDreams Wed 18-May-16 14:56:13

£35 does seem like a bit much really. If dh and I were using it, it would be because we were a bit skint not because we couldn't come up with things to do on a date night. We are pretty good at thinking outside the box when it comes to spending time together.
It might be the sort of thing we bought each other as a quirky gift but wouldn't do a 12 month subscription at £30 a month. I'd rather spend that £300 a year on one good night.
Sounds fun but not as a regular subscription sorry.

UnmentionedElephantDildo Wed 18-May-16 14:57:17

People here can't give advice on an idea you want to keep as a 'surprise'

If you won't describe it here properly, then this looks like spam

(which of course could be the start of a retro food date night at home?)

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 18-May-16 14:59:13

It could be a good idea as a one off. It actually sounds like something I'd get my brother and his wife for Christmas - a bit different and not something they'd get themselves, but they'd have a good giggle with it. As a subscription? No, sorry.

ghostoftheMNchicken Wed 18-May-16 15:05:26

I'm a sucker for a subscription box, but I agree that's too expensive. Round about £15 seems more reasonable to me.

luckiestgirl Wed 18-May-16 15:15:42

I'd definitely pay £15 a month for this.

JustUsBox Wed 18-May-16 15:30:54

Thanks all, really helpful.

I'm sorry everything is not 100% confirmed yet, at the moment I'm trying to figure out if the idea has legs at all before I commit loads more time and effort to it.

All of this feedback is brilliant though. I'll look at the luxury and budget options. Might need to cut back on product inclusion for a lower price point or charge extra for delivery which would be a shame.

Gift idea is good too, will check that out also.

Thanks again,
Charlie

TheHobbitMum Wed 18-May-16 15:34:03

I have a few monthly subscription boxes (geeky /nerd ones) and I think it sounds a great idea! Although at £35 I feel it's too much for me personally. The most expensive box I subscribe too is £26.99 and that is more than the others! Maybe a 2 tier pricing option and offer one off boxes not just subscription smile If you offer monthly subscription make it super easy to cancel, I always check if I have to jump through hoops to cancel before signing up 👍

TeaBelle Wed 18-May-16 17:13:31

If you add on postage that would put me off I'm afraid

JustUsBox Wed 18-May-16 17:56:49

Thanks TeaBelle, I'll certainly give it some thought.

It's tricky because ultimately I need to make money or it's a bit pointless confused. With the cost of postage, boxes and inserts to factor in I won't be able to buy all the contents I was looking at and earn a profit hmm.

Sorry, thinking out loud! I'll have a ponder and see what I can shave off without affecting the quality too much .

Thanks again for your help,
Charlie

TeaBelle Wed 18-May-16 18:03:48

It's totally psychological - I would pay up to£20 if postage was 'free' but wouldn't paypay £15 plus postage iyswim

JustUsBox Wed 18-May-16 19:40:19

Got it wink, thanks TeaBelle, really useful info.

BikeRunSki Wed 18-May-16 20:06:12

Yes, definitely go for free postage even if it means upping the basic cost.

How about shorter subscriptions? Say 3 months, 6 months as well as 12.

TeaBelle Wed 18-May-16 20:19:08

I've been thinking about this over dinner/bath time - I know you need to make a profit so in your position what I may consider doing is the cheaper box as more of a 'concept' box so in your example looking at the star charts etc and then adding a couple of small items whereas with the luxury one focussing on the stuff rather than the experience so much as I think they'll attract totally different markets and buying styles. Long-term relationshis more likely to go for a cheaper but long term subscription as they are more likely to want the inspiration/ kick up the bum for date night on a monthly basis. Newer couples are probably more likely to want a great night but not necessarily each month

trashcansinatra Wed 18-May-16 20:23:54

Instead of monthly subs, what about buying 3 or 5 up front and then 'cashing them in' when you want them. I completely get that it's to encourage couple to have date nights, but what if you can't manage one month or want to go to cinema or for a meal instead one month.

Works well for gifts too.

trashcansinatra Wed 18-May-16 20:25:03

Or have a monthly subscription that builds up a credit. Then pick a budget or luxury box when you have the cash? Allows all budgets (eg £5 a month gets a box every 4 months, etc)

JustUsBox Wed 18-May-16 21:36:39

ooo, I like the credit idea trashcansinatra and yes I can see that not everyone has the time/inclination to have a date night every single month. Defo on the gift angle also, weddings/anniversaries/new baby etc.

Shorter subscriptions makes sense too BikeRunSki as not everyone will want to commit straight away.

And TeaBelle totally agree that cheaper/long-term vrs more expensive/short-term would be a great combination.

So much to think about, I'll have to check that whatever shopping cart system I use can accommodate these options.

Thanks so much everyone,
Charlie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now