Advice on a potential business please

(6 Posts)
user1463138884 Fri 13-May-16 13:16:10

ser1463138884

Hello all,

Looking for some advice please. Looking to start my own business in Cheshire... like a handy woman / odd jobs / concierge type business, offering the following (not an exhausted list):-

* cleaning
* house sitting
* doing shopping for people
* collecting deliveries
* painting
* organising repairs
* key holding service, etc. for Landlords
* dog walking
* party planning

Please can I have your thoughts on whether you think there is a gap in the market for this, would you use this service and how much would you expect to pay?

Any ideas/advice welcome.

Thanks in advance grin

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Sun 22-May-16 16:45:44

Congratulations on making the move to setting up your own business.

I don't know about your geographical area, but, in general, these are good ideas. One thing would put me off, as a prospective customer and that is the fact that there are so many services, your message would be quite confused.

Are you a painter and decorator that walks dogs? Do you know much about either? And can I trust you to organise my party as well? These would be my concerns.

How about setting up 2 (or more) different companies - one relating to the house stuff/handy woman and a different one for the dog walking.

Doggy people treat their dogs as babies so would be more likely to go to your specific dog walking business. If it's the only thing your business does, it gives the impression that you're an expert, you care about their dog's wellbeing and aren't just someone walking a dog for a bit of extra cash.

Good luck

MissBattleaxe Sun 22-May-16 16:52:08

Well done for making this decision!

I would market yourself as a concierge.

If it's any help, the kind of jobs I would need would be:

parcel collection, cat feeding, cleaning, or a deep clean, and taking things to the charity shop.

They're all bitty jobs that I end up procrastinating about ( apart from the cat feeding. I have a chap for that, but if it was an odd day it would be handy to have "concierge")

user1463138884 Sun 22-May-16 17:05:54

Thanks for your feedback, it's appreciated!

NewIdeasToday Sun 22-May-16 17:21:17

You need to be more focuses so you can convince people you have the skills needed for relevant jobs. My cleaner is lovely and I would trust her to collect parcels, wait in for workmen etc. However she isn't the person I'd look to for party planning.

Suggest you sit down and really think through your skills and experience to come up with a shorter more coherent list of services.

Good luck.

agemeyoung Fri 17-Jun-16 22:05:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now