Toddler shower stand

(30 Posts)
Stu1976 Wed 17-Feb-16 23:05:09

I have invented a shower stand for toddlers and I'm asking for opinions, good or bad off all you wonderful mothers/parents. It's still only on the drawing board but I'm just doing some market research into whether people like the idea or not. Many thanks.

Move2WY Wed 17-Feb-16 23:14:16

So it's not used in a shower? The water comes out the ring. You might need to explain more how it works. How it hooks up to water etc. My main concern would be them getting out and running around and also what's to stop them slipping

Move2WY Wed 17-Feb-16 23:16:02

Maybe add a kind of water proof swing thing as a seat. If you know what I mean. Then it covers from a smaller age. By the time you'd be happy to use this with them they'd probably be old enough to just use in a normal shower anyway?

Salmiak Wed 17-Feb-16 23:31:30

I'm not convinced by this tbh.

1) what age range is it for? Ds is now 25 months and is perfectly happy standing up in the shower (actually prefers it to baths) so I'm guessing it's from when they are standing relatively well so as not to fall down when their legs get tired till they are happy with a shower. Its quite a short window of time...

2) what is the circumference - will it fit in the bath tub or is it for showers only?

3) does it have a temperature monitor on it so that if someone turn on the cold water downstairs it doesn't then scale the trapped child in the shower thing?

4) how chunky is it to store? If you have a bathroom with only a shower it's likely to be a small bathroom...

Wondermoomin Wed 17-Feb-16 23:48:10

Hmm... I'm not sure I see the point in it. What problem does it solve? (Or how does it make it easier/better/safer to wash your child?)

MoreSnowPlease Wed 17-Feb-16 23:50:13

Not sure of the point of it either, both my boys have had showers since very early on, never had any issues, just use a non slip mat!?

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 00:09:46

Hi
It is aimed at standing in showers and baths, it is designed to work by placing the stand in the shower or bath, plugging the shower hose to the stand with quick fittings and is controlled like a normal shower would be. It does explain on the photos but I realise that it's difficult to see. The idea came from showering my child when all she wanted to do was stand up in the shower and as you probably know, holding them with one arm, soap and water is no fun, just wanted something that was practical, fun. As I've said, it's not the finished article yet and I am still considering things like storage and life span. Thanks

MoreSnowPlease Thu 18-Feb-16 00:44:07

I'm just not sure if it's needed. I have never needed to hold my children while they are standing in the shower. Our shower is over the bath and we have a non slip mat in the bath. Neither has ever slipped over and I've never held them and they've been showing most nights and sometimes days too together since they could stand well /walk (6 months and 9 months). To be fair, I rarely use soap on them just let the water wash them so it doesn't get too slippy.

The only issue I do find with it is the distance from shower head to their heads is such that the water cools down by the time it reaches them so it needs to be set hotter than what I would like which means showing together is tricky. But this rarely happens and I am just quick if I need a shower at the same time.

I am not sure there is a problem there that needs fixing, but maybe it's just me!

MoreSnowPlease Thu 18-Feb-16 00:48:06

Oh hang on, I think I get it, it's for helping them to stand in the shower before they can stand?

Ok, maybe there is a market for that similar to the sitting aids for baths. I guess the problem is that I imagine most people don't shower their kids when they can't stand because unless you get in with them, you have to hold them, like you say, and so you get wet!?

TheDetective Thu 18-Feb-16 01:06:17

I'm not sure I'd find it helpful either. Sorry.

My 8 month old has loved showers from newborn. He used to lie on the bottom of the bath with me while I showered and he got splashed on! Now he can sit, he just sits there with the water cascading right on to his head. I don't support him, if he needed it I'd use a bath seat though.

All my kids have loved showers from early ages. I've never had a problem with it. Except for me getting wet. That could be a good invention?!

Akire Thu 18-Feb-16 01:13:24

I'm not a parent but I comment. It's a sort of gift I may look at when buying for new parents of family and friends.

So water fits into the ring so you don't have to hold shower head at all? And child has something to stand up in to keep them in one place?

Can see how it might give you two hands but you would still need jug or something to wash their hair or rinse soap off them that's higher than the water?

Also if the decide to suddenly sit down as kids do- the water would just spray all over their face? That may upset them. Least if you are holding shower head and they move you can immediately direct the water away. Can see how would work if you only have a shower and they are getting to big or splash to much to use baby bath or bucket. Then you get set it lower down and get them to sit in it while you showered then off. Would worry that they would want to swing on the bar and slip under if we're standing up.

I would be interested in a sort of decent gadget that would hold the shower head on the wall but low down so you can wash them/their hair without it spraying all over the cubicle and you. Instead of having to turn it on off all the time.

TitsCrossed Thu 18-Feb-16 01:26:31

Not something I would personally ever buy or covet. Sorry. My toddlers, even when barely standing, loved the shower without the need for a support. Doesn't look very practical to me, how do you actually wash them? And when they get the idea of moving, they pretty much want to move all the time, bath/shower time is splashy fun time, not about a little circular prison.

ophiotaurus Thu 18-Feb-16 03:11:22

How do you wash their hair in it?
It seems a faff to have to remove the shower head each time.
It isn't a common enough problem to warrant a device for it.
Sorry to sound harsh op.

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:40:37

Moresnowplease - hi, yes it's that short period of time when the child doesn't know whether to sit or stand, just a sort of learning/safety/fun way to shower. Thanks for your comments

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:48:42

Thedetective - hi, I realise that some children will sit there quite happy but some just want to do both. I also found that if I had the shower head on the rail I got as wet as my child and when I took it off to hold I only had one hand free, if I put it down and turned my back for 1 second she had hold of it and I was getting a shower. Thanks for your comments.

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:55:26

Akire - hi, eventually it will have a little shower head attached to the top for rinsing hair. It is also adjustable and will have toys on the top to encourage standing up whilst showering. Thanks for your comments.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 18-Feb-16 10:55:27

We have 3 - 3 and under. We tend to bath then. If we shower them, DH just gets in and holds the 12 week old.

It looks like another bit of clutter to me. I'm really sorry as I know you will have put a lot of thought and time into it.

My DH might have had a brain wave though. He thinks you should turn it into something that stops dogs leaping around the bath!

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 11:21:34

Titscrossed - hi, it's just about an aid to help and encourage them to stand and have fun instead of moving all over and potentially slipping so you can wash them with both hands and not get drenched yourself. Thanks for your comment.

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 11:26:04

Ophiotaurus - it will eventually have a little shower head on the top to rinse the child's hair along with toys on top to keep them occupied whilst showering. Thanks for your comment.

Sirzy Thu 18-Feb-16 11:29:43

How much would it cost?

Personally I don't see the need for it. But a lot of parents do like gadetty things so I can see a market for it

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 11:34:34

Gobbolinothewitch - hi, I understand that parents will get in with there child which is fine, it's for those that might be in a rush and don't have time. I understand the clutter comment which is why I'm trying to find a duel use for it like when it's not in use its can be used for storage once it's collapsed. Funny, I have thought about it for dogs aswell, just need something positive about this first. Thanks for your help.

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 11:40:46

Sirzy - hi, I don't know yet as I haven't had a prototype done, I know it's a short life span so not too much, that's why I am hoping to make it a duel purpose device so it either gets passed on or some sort of teddy storage or something. Would hope around the £20 mark. Thanks

MoreSnowPlease Thu 18-Feb-16 15:51:15

It might be worth it if you add a netted bag inside it which will hold bath toys and then lift out to change into the shower stand?

Stu1976 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:36:22

Moresnowplease - that's the plan eventually, some sort of fabric mesh that can be detached. Thanks

IceMaiden73 Sun 20-Mar-16 08:33:15

I love that you have had an idea and are actually trying to make it happen - well done

There are clearly some areas that need a lot more work, but that's what a prototype is all about

If you could push the top down, could it start as a bath seat and then become the stand up shower as they get older - to give it more life?

Also, not sure how you attach the actual shower to it - do you have to unscrew the shower head, as this would be a bit of a faff

Does it actually need to be a shower - could it be used as an aid to just help children stand under a normal shower head?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now