Gender Neutral Baby Clothing Brand Name?

(5 Posts)
ktt512 Sun 03-Jan-16 12:00:45

Hi guys,

I am looking for some input into a proposed brand name for a start up baby clothing company and I thought here would be the perfect place to start!

The brand is based on a teddy bear, the garments will be simple and the logo of the teddy bear will be the focus of the pieces. I don't have a picture to hand but the teddy is distinctive, although it looks very much like a teddy, it isn't a traditional 'bear' outline (such as a 'Me to You' bear for example).

The brand will incorporate a gender neutral, 'classic' range of baby grows, bibs, socks and hats but will also provide a traditional blue/pink/yellow/green version of all pieces.

Now, to the brand name - the two possible names put forward are 'Edward the Bear' and 'Teddy & Edward' (the teddy that the brand is based on is called Edward) but I wanted to get your opinions on them as 'Edward' is not a very gender neutral name. As consumers, would the brand name put you off if you were buying for a baby girl? Would you assume the brand only caters for boys?

Any input would be really appreciated, the project is in it's earliest possible infancy so changes are easily made at this stage!

I would also love to hear your thoughts about the product in general - I know that at this time there isn't much to go on though! But is simple clothing with a very focussed brand identity something you would be looking for when buying for your babies?

Thank you very much in advance!

TheBestChocolateIsFree Sun 03-Jan-16 12:05:06

Baby Bears
Yellow Bear (yellow being the traditional colour bought for a baby of unknown sex)

GingerFoxInAT0phat Tue 05-Jan-16 00:24:35

How about Teddy and Co, this then gives you the option to branch out if you ever wanted to add another line eg elephants or so forth.

It wouldn't bother me personally buying a brand with a mans name in for a girl but I think it would possible confuse customers.

I have infact designed my own range of gender neutral clothes but sounds extremely different, more a monochrome look.

I am imagining your brand to be something that maybe Prince George or Princess Charlotte would wear, quite traditional?

PaulDirac Tue 05-Jan-16 00:41:01

I quite like the sound of Teddy and Edward but it doesn't make sense does it, if Edward is the Teddy? It would be nice if there was a girl character too IMO. I wouldn't assume the shop only catered for boys but it does irritate me a bit that 9 times out of 10, a character like your Teddy, will be male. And that female characters are always bows, frills and big eyelashes. So I would love a female character who wasn't like that to balance it out a bit. That is a bit of a personal bugbear of mine though.

Clothing wise I like practical and comfortable. I like things to look nice but that comes last in my priority list.

Saphwoodman Sat 16-Jan-16 11:46:01

I would put traditional English opposite sex names together that started with the same letter such as
Emily and Edward
Wendy and William
Henry and Harriett
Olivia and Oscar
Amelia and Adam
George and Grace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now