Setting Up a Business & Leaving a Corporate Job

(3 Posts)
chialove Thu 18-Jun-15 20:13:05

Hey! smile I just thought I'd post on here to talk about my decision a few months back to quit a good corporate job and set up in business in something I'm passionate about. Have any of you ladies done the same? What was the hardest part? For me it's the money, just not knowing how to ensure a steady income every month. Do any of you have advice on this? If you want to check it out, the link to the business is (link removed by MNHQ as we don't allow this kind of advertising)

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jun-15 21:25:02

Hi there
we've moved to our start up topic
Best of luck with the new venture

semi Tue 23-Jun-15 15:48:09

I too had a great corporate job before setting up on my own in 2013. I'd have advised you to stick out your corporate job by going part time initially and easing into the self-employed/start up world.
Tips: Don't stop networking - ie set aside some time each week to get out there for meets and greets over coffee.. I didn't do enough of this at the start.
Work from a start up hub - or rent desk space from someone you know - or else you'll miss the social aspects of working/interacting with others.
Don't ever do the washing/ironing/cooking - when you should be working - ie if you work from home - it's easy to squander 'work hours' doing non work essentials. Set aside time for chores outside work hours.

Be healthy - factor in a regular early am gym session...great feeling to be healthy and working for yourself...

Don;t work from home! I've said that, but can't stress that enough. You need human contact. If I think of any more nuggets, I'll ping you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now