Parents of 7 to 11 years old: Urgent feedback required

(37 Posts)
YaseminSertoglu Sat 07-Mar-15 16:17:42

Hello,

I need urgent feedback about the business I am working on.

The question is:

How does your child manage her projects? Think school projects, personal projects, family projects..

Do you give help?
Can they manage to divide the project into managable tasks?
How do they collaborate with teammates, if there are any?
How do they keep track of their progress?
Are there any issues that your child is struggling with regarding large projects?

Any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Yasemin.

Sunnyshine Sat 07-Mar-15 16:22:49

Projects? She's 10. What exactly do you mean? Give an example?

Seekingtheanswers Sat 07-Mar-15 16:26:51

She manages pretty well tbh. She doesn't need any help from an external business if that's what you mean! I can provide whatever help or support she needs.

HollyBdenum Sat 07-Mar-15 16:30:16

Both at school and at home, my children are given age-appropriate tasks, so don't have to manage large projects without support from a parent or teacher.

Shallishanti Sat 07-Mar-15 16:33:21

huh???
meaningless question
the answer is- 'it depends'

YaseminSertoglu Sat 07-Mar-15 16:34:45

Think of a school presentation, class newspaper, a tea party she organizes for her friends, creating a monster high video, etc..

Projects that require more than one task to complete...

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Mar-15 16:38:58

Only really school projects unless you count bedroom tidying and table laying.
I leave it to her as she insists on leaving it till the last minute and I can't be doing with the arguments. I may cut some pictures out that is the extent of my help.
It is her homework not mine, I have my own which I do in a timely manner.

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 07-Mar-15 16:42:02

Hi folks

We're going to move this thread to our start ups board in a moment.

Seekingtheanswers Sat 07-Mar-15 16:43:30

OP, are you considering offering some sort of "project management for kids" thing? If so, I'm afraid I can't see a huge demand for it.

YaseminSertoglu Sat 07-Mar-15 16:44:53

Yes, Lonecatwithkitten, these are the issues I am talking about:

How might make sure that kids take ownership of their responsibilities and complete them in a timely manner? How might we help them develop this life skill?

Curlygirly Sat 07-Mar-15 16:52:46

Ds2 is 9 and needs to be 'micro managed' as he is so disorganised and is overwhemed without help.

Dd is 7 and can organise herself quite well. Needs help prioritising projects but then will get on by herself.

Seekingtheanswers Sat 07-Mar-15 16:56:58

I have taught dd how to break projects up into bite sized chunks, and how to work back from a deadline so that she can plan what she needs to do and when. We have also talked about not leaving things until the last minute so that unexpected changes don't have a huge impact. Modelling this behaviour is also important.

I think it's important not to micromanage, though. Children learn best through experience and natural consequences.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Mar-15 17:01:38

Yasemin you may them live by their decision if they have not chosen to get on with their homework they have to go and face the music with the teacher.
For organisation to be effective it has to come from inside yourself.
I say this as a single parent working long hours including nights and weekends running my own business that turns over 1M and doing a masters degree. So I lead by example, do as I do.

YaseminSertoglu Sat 07-Mar-15 18:24:58

I have started working on this idea just today and trying to understand if it is something worth pursuing. Here is a mock-up of the project I'm considering and asking questions about. Any feedback would be appreciated. Again, thank you.

Needhelpwithadilemma Sat 07-Mar-15 18:31:36

Honestly speaking, it's a good idea, but I can't see myself buying anything like that for use with my dc. I don't think we'd actually use it. Others might, though!

Visually, it's quite appealing.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Mar-15 18:49:35

So I own an 11 year old stroppy madam. To be totally frank and honest she would hate it on several levels.
1. Since about 8 years old she has hated anyone telling her what to do when. She would see this as doing exactly that.
2. She would feel it was a bit babyish. She regularly uses apps like showbie, book maker and also microsoft publisher and would probably respond to a more adult view point.

fairgame Sat 07-Mar-15 18:59:15

I quite like the idea. DS is 10 and has ASD so it would be a good way of helping him become independent with his basic tasks such as washing face, teeth brushing etc.
It would be good if there was an option to print out the planner to stick it on the wall as well for the days he isn't allowed on his tablet. He doesn't have any homework or school projects because he goes to a special school but i would definitely consider it for the things he needs to do at home.

juliedlondon Sat 07-Mar-15 20:26:32

Hi Yasemin

I think it's a really interesting idea. I'm a working parent, so don't always have much time to check up on my childrens progress in their study and other activities.

If the children were able to manage this themselves - ie add their own projects, homework, other activities they would like to do in their free time I think this could empower them.

Perhaps they could "unlock" free time activities.

I think the interface is certainly aimed at a younger audience, so seeing it in use for a child a little older would be interesting.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 07-Mar-15 20:29:52

projects? organising tea parties? really?? oookay

YaseminSertoglu Sat 07-Mar-15 22:22:03

smile Really. These are actual things my 8yo daughter is working on. Except school projects, they are self-initiated and I try to encourage her interests and efforts. The problem is, she jumps in without proper planning and creates some headache for herself and me smile

MerryMarigold Sat 07-Mar-15 22:26:24

I have a 9yo. He doesn't organise anything. I feel bad now!

TheoriginalLEM Sat 07-Mar-15 22:26:55

ah well my nine year old is too busy pretending to be a unicorn to worry about gant diagrams and forward planning. i do pay £££'s for a tutor as she is dyslexic but other than that i am in the let them be kids camp.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 07-Mar-15 22:30:09

her tutor is PhD qualified in educational psychology and is really helping dd with her thought processes pertaining to reading and confidencr so i do feel its money well spent. What are your specific qualifications? are you a teacher?

Heels99 Sat 07-Mar-15 22:31:39

My children are seven and they don't do projects they do 'topics'

MerryMarigold Sat 07-Mar-15 22:36:46

Well, there are 'projects' as in he gets all his homework for the week on a Tuesday and this is divided into what should be done on each day (which doesn't happen) so it's just done on the weekend. I guess we could plan it a bit better. Dh is quite a high level PM, but I always joke he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now