Teachers becoming tutors....

(7 Posts)
Icecoldlolly Wed 20-Aug-14 13:06:22

I wonder if this idea has legs?
I've taught and tutored for almost 40 years, and learned a bit along the way. I tutored exclusively for almost 20 years. With out blowing my own trumpet, I did well and got great feedback from parents, references etc. I also know from my own kids having tutoring that not all good teachers make good tutors etc.

I wondered if there would be any interest in running some courses either online or whatever for teachers who want to tutor? It would cover the differences between being a class teacher and a 1:1 tutor, as well as the admin you need to do re. tax etc.

I wondered if this might be something that could be sold and even in partnership with a tutoring agency?

redtiger1079 Wed 20-Aug-14 16:35:56

Hola

check out the site tutorhunt

I found a couple of tutors on that to teach me new things when I was off work and bored when pregnant. My tutors found it so lucrative tutoring through the site that they gave up other work!!!

Icecoldlolly Thu 21-Aug-14 08:35:29

confused
I think you have mis-read my question.
I'm a retired teacher/ tutor- I don't need more work and I spent many years tutoring, full time.

BranchingOut Tue 09-Sep-14 10:33:43

I understand what you are offering.

But, I am not sure that there would be enough people out there to pay for it to make it worth your while. For starters, there is the idea that anyone with a degree can be a tutor - look at the profiles on some tuition websites. On the other hand, qualified/experienced teachers are often quite organised and savvy, so would be able to look up some of this for themselves.

I am an ex-teacher and have previously been self-employed, so if I wanted to tutor then I would probably put up a card or two in the local area, refresh my resources and just get started. I also worked for a large reputable organisation when they were expanding into a tutoring venture and they did not cover any of this, the implication was that it was the responsibility of the individual and more or less self-explanatory.

Now what I think might work, is to set up a free blog or website where you write about tutoring and then make money from advertising or referral links.

RyanVanGelder Thu 18-Sep-14 16:13:30

Im a tutor starting out, and I'm sorry this is a little off topic of the question but how did you find students? I've posted ads up on Gumtree and Facebook but I'm not getting anywhere

I also think that although teaching people how to tutor might be a good idea. I can't see teachers paying to learn how to tutor. It might be worth looking at setting up an online course which doesn't require any attention once set up.

Brookville Wed 12-Nov-14 22:49:55

I think it's a nice idea. However as a teacher, if I wanted to go into tutoring I think I'd give it a go via word of mouth rather than spend money on a course.
I don't mean to knock back your idea. But I suppose, if teachers are looking to leave the profession, they want to earn money rather than shell out. And if they can adapt skills and resources they have already used, they would probably try that first.
What about tutor-training non teachers?

morethanpotatoprints Wed 12-Nov-14 23:00:00

I don't mean to be mean but if somebody is intelligent enough to teach, then they are surely intelligent enough to learn about the basic admin they would be expected to do.
Also, the differences between teaching a class and 1 to 1 teaching are something you pick up on the job. You just learn how to adapt and most wouldn't find it difficult enough to require them to pay for a course.
I don't see how anybody would benefit from those services.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now