Entrepreneurs needed for Google's Campus! Closing date 29 August

(67 Posts)
KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:19:14

Do you have a business idea that you'd like to bring to life? Campus is a community of parent entrepreneurs looking for new recruits to take part in their free training/mentoring program. Here's what they say about it:

"Got a great business idea and looking for mentoring, a support network and more? Campus is Google's Old Street building for entrepreneurs, offering free, open access events designed to educate and empower you, and they have one program that's made for you; Campus for Mums. For one morning a week over nine weeks, you and 34 other parent entrepreneurs (men welcome!) will learn about topics such as product development, marketing and more, through workshops, talks, peer-to-peer mentoring and more. Apply here: goo.gl/jSWjyJ or email campusformums@google.com for more information"

Please use this thread to chat about your business ideas, and what you'd hope to get from the sessions.

Mitchell50 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:07:43

This program looks really interesting. I run a small property company which provides holiday cottages in the South West. I'd be interested in knowing if Google Campus and other MN entrepreneurs think that a property sector business would be the right fit for this program. And you can take your baby along with you!

FreeWee Tue 19-Aug-14 20:24:27

I'm interested in setting up my own business as a career coach, particularly those who are at a career crossroads such as returning from maternity leave. I'm already a qualified coach with a few years experience but it's a big step leaving employment to be self employed. You'd think I'd be able to coach myself into it!

SacreBlue Tue 19-Aug-14 20:26:17

This sounds great. I don't see the rest of the address here or on the link but I am assuming Old Street might be in London? Could you maybe add a bit there to clarify? <I'm in Belfast so pretty sure it isn't near me!>

hambo Tue 19-Aug-14 20:48:58

Would you consider a Scottish one based in Edinburgh?

Mitchell50 Tue 19-Aug-14 20:52:27

Old Street is indeed in London - East London

JadedAngel Tue 19-Aug-14 21:40:09

Sounds interesting. I'm surprised and disappointed though that Google isn't using its own technology to make this accessible digitally across the nation.

Central London isn't actually that convenient for most of us.

Sunbeam18 Tue 19-Aug-14 21:56:16

Another Edinburgh interested party here! Agree that digital technology should allow this to be made available throughout the UK!

redtiger1079 Tue 19-Aug-14 23:39:03

I wanted to sign up for this, but will likely have commitments for the nine weeks.

Mumsnet HQ - if you are able to pass on this feedback it would be AMAZING.

An intensive weekend googlecampus meet for mums (or dads) would be much better, because it means less time and the baby can be looked after by the other partner.

redtiger1079 Tue 19-Aug-14 23:53:47

A weekend one (companies like LeanStartUp do weekend ones) also means that people outside London eg the posters from Scotland and Ireland) are more likely to be able to attend by planning in advance.

nappyrat Wed 20-Aug-14 08:12:21

This sounds so great. Pity it's so London centric. I'm not even that far out but the logistics and cost of getting in one morning a week for nine weeks would pretty much rule it out for me sadly.

Great idea though.

Mitchell50 Wed 20-Aug-14 09:40:36

Considering the transport links into London I think it is the most logical place for them to host it in the UK and presumably that is where the majority of there staff are so it makes sense. Great idea to roll it out to other areas after that. I'd be interested to hear the other business ideas on here?

bealos Wed 20-Aug-14 10:03:29

They've run them in other places around the world, so am sure would be up for suggestions for other cities. Their venue, Google Campus, is in Old St, London, so imagine that takes care of venue costs for them.

JadedAngel Wed 20-Aug-14 11:18:33

Or... they could do it digitally. Which would make it accessible to everyone AND showcase their collaboration and digital meeting technology that is aimed at small businesses... hmm

SarahLDW Thu 21-Aug-14 14:07:19

Hi guys,

I'm Sarah and I run the program at Campus. I really appreciate all your feedback about location (that's why we included our email). Many of our educational sessions and programs are available via livestream (youtube.com/campuslondon) but this one is an ongoing program where you build a support network and get/give mentoring from your peers, which we think works so well in person. Please do keep the feedback coming, though - and I love the idea of a weekend Campus for Mums bootcamp!

PrimalLass Thu 21-Aug-14 19:23:01

Edinburgh people, I've just finished something similar in Fife. Not as highfalutin as google, but great nonetheless. PM me if you want the details.

Maxinek1 Thu 21-Aug-14 22:00:24

`I based in Bristol and in the process of starting up my own online store. I would love to come to this however the cost to get to London alone would break the budget. I am in much need of meeting up with other mum businesses starters Mx

If anybody is interested in doing something like this in Oxford, PM me.

TheBearAndTheBug Sun 24-Aug-14 21:29:35

Sounds fantastic but I'm in Leeds with two small children and little childcare.

Any plans to run this in other regions? Or to make it accessible online?

Plonkysaurus Mon 25-Aug-14 07:51:36

I've just (literally this week) set up as a family photographer. I'm in Derby and trains to London are generally very good. Unfortunately it's a commitment I cannot make, but I'd happily commit to nine mornings of webinars.

Plonkysaurus Mon 25-Aug-14 07:52:12

Or y'know, something I can drive to and park at for minimal cost.

KristinaM Tue 26-Aug-14 05:45:01

It's a great idea

But why on earth would you run it in London ? Of all the cities in the UK, why do you think London needs this the most ? < bemused >

Do parent entrepreneurs in London get more or less support than the rest of the UK ?. Did you do any kind of planning or needs assessment ? Compare start up rates across the UK ?

Why would google want to put this resource into the richest city in the Uk and ignore everywhere else ? Do you think that most of your customers are in London ? < even more confused >

Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 26-Aug-14 22:09:34

Another one who had a friend in mind who would have been perfect but not in London . Sigh. Transport links or not, getting there once a week for nine weeks makes that impossible really.

Katedaniels Wed 27-Aug-14 10:52:31

I would love to sign up, about to start my own business, but ds1 only has half days for the first two weeks, so couldn't stay till 12.30, is that an issue?

ValerieM Wed 27-Aug-14 15:07:29

Hi, I'm Valerie and I'm the Project Lead for the next Campus for Mums course. Thanks so much for all your comments. Your suggestions are extremely useful and will help inform the way that future Campus for Mums courses are run. The workshops will run on Tuesday mornings from 9.30am to 12.30pm from 16th September to 18th November ( With a break for half term). To get the most from the course, we'd encourage those selected to stay for the duration of each session. And remember participants are welcome to bring their children under 18 months with them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now