Web site copy

(6 Posts)
winkywinkola Mon 28-Jul-14 22:01:34

Gosh. I'm having to do this myself to save money.

Where do I start?!

CocktailQueen Mon 28-Jul-14 22:03:58

What kind of business?
Keep it short, keep sentences snappy and keep your audience in mind!

winkywinkola Mon 28-Jul-14 23:09:41

Home stay.

Have been researching other sites and the copy is so dense even for native English speakers.

I would really like to focus on developing the language courses rather than the website but as £ needs must.

Hoppinggreen Tue 29-Jul-14 12:56:45

Hello
I do a bit of this as part of my business but I wouldn't mind have a look for free once you have written something.

CocktailQueen Tue 29-Jul-14 15:43:35

What's home stay? If copy is dense and hard to read, people won't stay on the page but will go elsewhere...

MellowMarshmallow Wed 06-Aug-14 14:13:29

Hello there. I write web copy for a living. Ping me a PM if you give up on doing it yourself.

In the meantime...
- You mean home study right? - just because the copy is dense on competitors website, that does not mean you should do the same. In fact, going over their copy and deciding all the reasons your customers would struggle with it, may be a good place to start.
- If you are writing all the copy for your course material, then the copy for the website should sound the same so they know what they are going to get.
- If you are targeting non-native English speakers, (is it a study English at home course?) - make sure your graphics do a lot of the communication for you. You will need text for your website to be search engine friendly, but if it is's a straight choice between spending resources on graphics or copy, go with graphics (and I say that as someone who has written a lot of copy for an ESOL home study website).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now