Anyone know anything about planning designations?

(2 Posts)
MairzyDoats Fri 25-Jul-14 20:39:39

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm planning on opening a deli-cafe, and there is a very specific area I'd like to target. Basically it is a commuter village with a train station adjacent to a large town. It's in an affluent area, with lots of people using the station to get from London to their lovely local homes, and it could really use the service I'm planning to offer!

Anyway, there are a few shops close to the station, but they are, variously, a 'natural' beauty salon, a hairdresser, an estate agent, an interiors/curtain making shop and a butchers. There is also a small general store and a pub in the village and a (privately owned and rather crap) coffee shop in the station. I'm trying to find out how to get a change between Use Classes - A1 (retail) to A3 (coffee shops etc). Has anyone got any experience of this and what hoops I might have to jump through? Just to clarify, there are no retail properties available at the moment but I have heard a rumour that one may be coming up soon...

titabeth Sat 26-Jul-14 13:43:40

Just get in touch with your local authority, and/or look on their website. They should have all the details of the process you need. It's the council you have to apply to. I've not run a business, but my Dad was always getting planning permission for the house extensions he drew up for people. I think the purpose of the property has an impact on which council tax band the premises fall under. Good luck with your new venture! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now