Where would I start?

(7 Posts)
BrieAndChilli Tue 22-Jul-14 10:03:57

I threw dd a frozen themed party the other week and people keep telling me I should do it professionally and people would pay good money for one of my parties (I generally get such comments after any event/party I throw)
I just have no idea where to start, no money to start up and no comfidence.
Theoretically if I decided to go for it where would I start?

MrsWinnibago Tue 22-Jul-14 22:24:49

Well...I think Facebook is an excellent marketing tool. That and flyers/posters in children's centres, shops and wherever children are...

I would make a FB page with your new business name, describe what you offer and price packages.

You will need I assume to get some money up front from people in order to do the hiring of halls and buying of props or gifts.

That's the thing about parties, you need some capital...to get going.

You should also begin to talk to local shops about doing you a deal with balloons and things...you go to them regularly with large orders, can you have a discount.

Reach out to local facepainters and glitter tattoo artists...look at making up themed gift bags....buying in decorations or making them.

NEScribe Wed 23-Jul-14 15:31:26

I think there is a definite market assuming you target the right areas - some parents just can't afford to pay for party organising.

It would be good if you had some good pix to show what you can do. Then start a facebook page for it and get everone you know to like and share - that can spread quickly.
Update the page regularly and include comments from people about your party skills etc.
Are you good with desgn on computer? You could run off some flyers or get trifold brochure and ask to leave in nurseries, library, health centres etc. always give an email if poss cos some people worry they might be cajoled into simething on the phone.
Remember you need to tell hmrc within three months max of starting a new business or there is a big fine.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 24-Jul-14 15:13:26

Cost out the party including your time and compare it to others ray providers in your area to see if you are competitive. This will help you decide whether it is worth your while doing the parties.
Remember you will need to spend time keeping ahead of the trends identifying what will be the next big party theme.

fackinell Thu 24-Jul-14 15:43:14

I almost did this a few years ago but went into another line of work instead. I did some prep though. Mine involved creating a list of parties available on some fliers. Prince and Princess parties, Pirates, pamper and makeover, baby's first birthday, retro disco themes, baby showers, etc. then detail each one: games, songs, food, treasure hunts etc. (for your own use.) once you have your base stock you'll be laughing. It's a great idea and you clearly have a talent. Create a portfolio as you go but get written consent for pics!!

That's where I'd start, but take deposits!! Word of mouth will be your best advertising. I even thought of having a 'wedding crèchers' to entertain kids during speeches and the boring bits.

Rowingdowntheriver Wed 30-Jul-14 04:36:04

Speak to an accountant early on re the financial records that you will need to keep and returns that you will need to make. Most will give you a free initial meeting which will give you an overview.

Firstly you must register with HMRC as being self employed. You can do this online. From that point you will be liable to class 4 NI and also Class 2 NI on your profits.

redtiger1079 Wed 20-Aug-14 00:38:19

If you're serious, you could maybe start by doing the following:

offer to do it for free for the first two or three parties - eg, for mums you know well/are friends with.

when doing these, keep a tight record of costs incurred and add in your time - basically get a structure for the planning and the cost, check out your chains (eg entertainers if you use them)

get a wordpress site - basic one, for contact info, with a memorable name

get your friends you threw the first /second.third free ones for to write up good feedback/recommendations/reviews - whatever they are called

get on fb, and ask everyone you know to put the word out.

dont loss lead at first though - people then resent paying more. just do it for free to begin with, for your own research then go.

might be worth doing some research on things like insurance, if you're doing it for money, and checking those costs. you may need public liability insurance - I have no idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now