Nursing Dress Business

(3 Posts)
lisat981 Tue 15-Jul-14 16:43:20

Hi everyone.

I'm a breastfeeding mum and over the past months have struggled to find a pretty nursing dress to wear to Christenings/Weddings/Days out etc. I realise there are a couple of retailers out there that sell these dresses, but I love dresses that stand out from the crowd, and aren't just one colour jersey dresses that seem to be on the market currently.

I've had a idea (through trying to sew my own nursing dress - doesn't help that I'm rather rubbish at sewing!) of designing my own nursing dresses and selling them through an online shop. Before I start committing any money to this idea, I'd be really grateful if I could get some feedback so I know if it's a viable idea, or to stay well clear!

I've looked into getting dresses made in the UK, so that I could keep an eye on making sure they are of high quality. Because of the costs involved I would have to start with one design, in maybe a choice of 2 or 3 colours. My idea is to have a dress with a stretchy jersey fabric top, and a flared bottom skirt made out of a different material in pretty prints (cotton etc.) to give it a bit more structure (and to hide mummy tummies!), and the option of wearing a sash at the waistband.

Does this sound like something that would interest other nursing mums? I'm doubting my idea now as I'm telling myself that if people wanted something like this then they could buy a nursing top and a normal skirt.

I'd really welcome any comments, be they positive or negative. I'll be starting back work soon, and I know that if I don't do anything it now, I'll probably never do it!

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Iquitelikeapples Tue 15-Jul-14 18:32:12

Hi Lisa, I do like your idea for 'nice' occasions. I've recently been to a wedding & wore this monsoon I chose this as it worked for bf & I could dress it up for the wedding but also I could wear it afterwards. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that was only suitable for a fancy event & not be able to wear if again.
Perhaps having a few pictures of the dress dressed up with accessories for a wedding & then down for after would be good?
I'm a fan of the one top up one top down method so have never bothered much with nursing tops but obviously you can't do that with a dress.

Elizabeth1984 Thu 31-Jul-14 07:52:50

Yes it sounds good, my only consideration as a bfing mum is whether it would be easy to find, and if I could easily order it, try it on and send it back.

I agree with you about the poor quality on the market. I spent £90 on a bf dress from a website for a wedding. And when it arrived it was a really drap, really cheap looking jersey dress in one colour. Totally not worth £90, and no structure to it.

I love your idea about hiding the mum tum.

It's a good idea, I suppose to make it a successful business you'd need to sell all sorts of other items. But I suppose if you started an online shop through eBay or something, you could just let the business grow in it's own time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now