Cashmere Start up

(18 Posts)
Kelly3330 Sat 31-May-14 11:19:52

Hi there, I'm new on Mumsnet and thought I should introduce myself! Hi mums!! I know this is a bit random but I am actually hoping to talk to any entrepreneurial mums that also manage to balance work and a new born! smile

I have just started my own cashmere company (after 6 years in the field I walked out of a company (don't want to bore you all) and decided to go my own way. Currently I juggle web development and design freelance work and my new cashmere business.

I'm extremely broody and we are looking to start trying perhaps next year - however I am concerned whether I could do it!!

Anyway that's me hope to hear from you all smile x
Kelly

scottishmummy Sun 01-Jun-14 00:44:08

Hello,kelly. Cashmere company,how interesting.one can never have to many pashmina
What cashmere products you looking at selling?its a crowded premium market..white company,brora
Best wishes with your ventures.i have no experience if running a business

Kelly3330 Sun 01-Jun-14 20:39:29

Hi smile yes I have a store set up currently smile Just started out but it is going well! I think what I will probably focus on is where it is made! The cashmere is simply so soft and I work with a small family run business in Nepal. I suppose the plus side is that care is taken with every garment. Seeing as I only have small stock numbers each is delicately hand printed etc smile
I'm not sure if I can post the link or anything but I would love it if you could take a look and see what you think smile Always great to get some feedback! What do you do? x

scottishmummy Sun 01-Jun-14 21:36:13

Sounds divine,best wishes
I just love cashmere as a product
Im not in your field at all.just a happy shopper

Kelly3330 Sun 01-Jun-14 22:06:08

Thank you : ) Well it would be great to get your feedback! Not sure if I can put the link (don't want to get banned after my second day!) I apologise if its not. Brand name is Duck Soup shopducksoup.com
Look forward to hearing from you x

I've had a look and the pieces you have online are gorgeous. smile

The size guide irritated me as you sell large and extra large but your size guide only displays extra small, small, medium. So I don't know what the other sizes equate to - in general it would be great to have actual measurements rather than just 'extra small is a 6-8' cos that's meaningless.

I wouldn't buy anything where I didn't know what the length and chest was because it's such a pain to send stuff back.

scottishmummy Sun 01-Jun-14 22:25:55

shopducksoup site
Ps using royal mail is really smart move.easy to collect from depot on saturday
As realistically other couriers are total faff,and deliver when I'm working

Kelly3330 Mon 02-Jun-14 10:04:58

Hi Laurie, thank you its really nice to hear that, its been a difficult few months battling with my confidence!
Do you mean the general size guide? I have listed individual product sizes on the products themselves, however I know these need improvement! smile If you go into the product, the size measurements are listed in cm, but I need to work on them most definitely so thank you for the valuable feedback!

Question actually! Do you ladies prefer to shop by size like 12, 14 UK or the M, L. I have actually been warned off of putting the UK sizing before ,but I felt myself that I would prefer to see size "12 UK" etc. So maybe I will include both?

Scottishmummy - thank you for your insight on Royal Mail! I thought this was best as usually myself I have the same issue!!

Thank you both for your feedback, one more thing if possible! Could you give me a little feedback on the garment styles! What would you like to see? Cardigans? Wraps, Shrugs etc!

As you can see I am testing the water in regards to pricing, currently I have an event on with up to 60% off purely because I want to test the sensitivity of the market. Do you both buy cashmere and how much would you say price influences your purchase?

As the prices are currently set to 60% off , they're at trade price, so I wont really be earning much on top when you look at customs taxes etc, however this is not really what concerns me at all, just want to get the product out there and in customers hands as it is such a luxury high grade cashmere quality (as it is only sourced from the hair on the underbelly of a goat, in the best conditions on the mountain) I'm going to take some photos when I go out next, purely as I know lots of companies say this but actually a lot of their cashmere is imported.

Sorry for the long message its just great to get feedback from cashmere shoppers!!

Thanks again

Kelly xxx smilethanks

EssexMummy123 Tue 03-Jun-14 21:44:08

I do like your website name.

So couple of things -
blogposts
PR!!!!!! <--- that bit is in bold and underlined.
Then if you can afford it PPC / advertising.

AndiPandi Tue 03-Jun-14 21:51:41

I like to see UK sizing, I hate S,M and L because I never know what that means.

Ok, now I'm proper confused.

I clicked on a top and it tells me under size guide that an Extra Large is 90cm. That's 36 inches and a size 10 confused

Is your extra large a size 10?

Yes, I buy cashmere - love it smile. Always from Brora or Second hand Brora from Ebay.

Kelly3330 Tue 03-Jun-14 21:58:41

Hey smile Blog posts - yes I do them! smile Do you mean as a separate blog? PR (can't really afford this as a service at the moment! So I'm doing what I can )
And Yes PPC and Facebook ads where possible and where budget allows!
smile

smile

Kelly3330 Tue 03-Jun-14 22:12:59

Hi Ladies! Yes I am definitely looking at adding size options as UK as well as Small Medium large etc, oops! Sorry Laurie! That's what those late nights measuring have done to me, I will re-evaluate those sizes and update this evening!! Don't worry the Xl is not a size ten - that would be shocking!!

smile thank you ladies for all your help and encouragement !

littlemouse13 Mon 28-Jul-14 17:50:35

Hi kelly , Im new on here and just been browsing the business section,
as a fellow designer and small business owner I would like to say I think your website looks fantastic !
well done !

Kelly3330 Mon 28-Jul-14 18:02:57

Hi littlemouse13 smile thank you always great to hear positive feed back! Have you got a web address would love to see your site also smile

The scarves look gorgeous, beautiful, but modern, patterns. Cashmere and silk are so luxe as a scarf fabric. Not like that awful polyester, viscose or modal, that seems to be what most scarves are made of.

Kelly3330 Mon 28-Jul-14 20:15:44

Thanks Belinda, they are either a 70% 30% mix or 100% cashmere - super soft! If any you ladies have any ideas to what patterns or colours, scarves or clothing you would like to see please do give me feedback and suggestions smile

Snake print scarves would be popular, I would expect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now