Business on the side from home - can you offer some inspiration?

(9 Posts)
unfulfilled81 Sun 04-May-14 15:13:09

I work in corporate professional services but am getting thoroughly fed up with the politics/stress, which only serves to make ridiculous profits for others and bumper bonuses for senior management. For a couple of years I've had a half-formed idea about starting a business in my spare time from home, but I'm thinking about it more seriously this month (and getting increasingly fed up of being expected to constantly do more with less).

I just don't know what I could do though!

- Ideally it needs to be doable around fulltime work at first, so flexible hours

- I don't mind putting in many hours around this business on the side, and working on it in the medium/long term (not looking for a quick buck or even profit at first, but must have potential to become profitable)

- I have lots of attention to detail and a high tolerance for practicalities like forming business plans, presenting P&L, spreadsheets, I'm also good with IT and my DH is a freelance website developer so website requirement not a barrier

- I'm fairly introverted, and I'm burnt out on service delivery, and would really love something which doesn't involve service to customers (so that rules out training and stuff) - I'd love to deal in something more "tangible"

- My home is a tiny 1 bed studio flat, so a lot of self employed stuff I've been reading on here not doable (childcare, dog walking, etc)

MonikaPaul Wed 14-May-14 14:27:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

paneer Thu 15-May-14 09:24:32

You're in the same place as me.
Watching with interest.

sunbathe Thu 15-May-14 09:28:20

Well dog walking may not be for you, but your home doesn't matter for that. confused

How about a business working out business plans for other people?

WaitingForMe Fri 16-May-14 07:49:48

Start by reading Free Range Human by Marianne Cantwell.

Your post is about what you want rather than what you can offer. I really rate the above book for helping establish some ideas and putting them into practise.

geriA8 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:38:42

geriA8 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:39:01

thefutureisbright Mon 30-Jun-14 19:49:39

Hi, just seen your message and I may have just the thing that I do from home around my full time job and family. There are so many things I like about it and it's making such a difference to us I just want to share it with as many people as possible anyway, I know money doesn't make you happy but it helps smile

What I like best is that it’s really flexible, you can do it part time in your spare time and it can build gradually into a full time income. Most people are in profit within 1-2 months which I know is important to you.

I don’t know if it’s for you, obviously only you can decide that, but if you can see what I saw, I’m sure you’ll be just as excited as I am.

If you want to PM me, then i'd be happy to send you the details.

Ledger12 Mon 30-Jun-14 20:25:09

Hi just seen your messages and I think I might know if something perfect!! Very flexible and you put in as many hours as you like!! And great for earning that extra wage!!!
If you want to hear more then don't hesitate to email me, charlotteledger@hotmail.co.uk I really think I can help you!! Looking forward to hearing from you!! Charlotte x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now