Gardening business possible issue

(6 Posts)
Geoff0409 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:47:23

Hello,
I would like to start a small domestic gardening business (I am not an expert but not too bad and always work hard). I do have an issue though. As gar as I am aware it is illegal to transport petrol-powered tools such as a mower and strimmer etc in the boot of a car (I can't afford a van at all), as it is a health and safety issue to do with petrol fumes - the tools need to therefore be sealed off during transportation. I can offer a service using my electric tools, but wasn't sure how professional this looked and how I would approach a customer that I would need access to a plug. I have an extension lead so it is not too difficult and obviously I would reflect this by having lower charges but wondered if anyone knew anything about this and what your opinions on this would be if you needed a Gardener? I will also post under Gardening just in case of different advice and help.
Many thanks,
Geoff

CountessOfRule Mon 31-Mar-14 20:09:44

How much would a trailer be?

The disadvantage of needing access to electricity is that they'd need to be in, whereas if you were self-sufficient (iyswim) you'd be able to work in their absence.

Geoff0409 Mon 31-Mar-14 23:21:57

I don't think a trailer is an option with my current car but thank you. And the comments about people needing to be in is a good one. Thank you.

MyICDiscalledsparky Mon 31-Mar-14 23:32:32

Our garden is too big for electric tools, which is why we need a gardener. We have our own petrol mower, petrol strimmer, chainsaw etc and the gardener uses our tools and charges us less because of this. We also provide the fuel. He doesn't have a car at all but still manages to find enough work.

Geoff0409 Tue 01-Apr-14 18:19:17

Thanks for all the replies. Seems that petrol tools are a given - at least a mower anyway. For a hedge trimmer though I have had a look and found some of the lithium ion battery powered/rechargable would be good - the battery lasts ok and the prices are not too bad. Thanks again for all the responses.

mrsb87 Fri 02-May-14 07:59:17

My husband runs his own gardening company that has been going 30+ years. he uses petrol equipment as a lot of of the gardens he does are far too big to use electric. It also doesn't look very professional asking to use a customers electric x supply when you are there to provide a service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now