Property management company

(4 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Mon 24-Mar-14 20:47:12

Hi, I want to start a property management company (those that manage communal property). I have management experience (although not property) and my husband owns a small roofing company so we are reasonably on the ball..

I understand most of the requirements to set this up (there's a register we need to get on, code of conduct we need to adhere to etc) and I've been researching certifications etc.. I've done lots of research. I've also spoken to an ex-director of a very successful similar firm and got lots of good advice..

My question is this.. This director confirmed (as I thought) that the best way to get business is to tie in with new developers who appoint you the property managers of, for example, the block of flats they are building... We don't really have those sorts of contacts.. So, any ideas how to find and approach these businesses and how to get them to take a chance on an inexperienced property management business? How do we seem more experienced than we are?

Hope this makes sense and TIA thanks

Given that you are entirely new to the business I would recommend starting small so that you don't get burned.

Look into property management for small blocks of flats, they'll probably be on the lookout for the most competitive deals possible.

HappyGirlNow Wed 26-Mar-14 23:06:01

Thanks for the reply mrscumberbatch grin

Yes, def want to start small.. As I see it there are 2 ways in - either developers appoint you for new flats or disgruntled resident's associations change want to change their management company.. It's just how to persuade you'll do a good job with no proven experience... I think it'll take a good website, interpersonal skills, basically perception of us as a professional company will be vital..

SimLondon Tue 01-Apr-14 10:54:03

Being competitive on price will help to. Thinking about it the company we use doesn't have a website but is very good on price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now