Do I need CE marking etc to sell my handmade products on Etsy?

(6 Posts)
littlevic Sat 22-Mar-14 20:15:12

Help please! I've started making needle-felted products, such as brightly coloured birds/fish on mobiles, moomin mobiles, and decorative animals etc...I guess I need to put a disclaimer on my Etsy shop stating these are not toys, and could be a choking hazard etc... but do I need to do anything else legally, like labeling the goods with CE marking/ not suitable for 0-36 months and stuff?!!
Bit wet behind the ears with this making and selling malarky!!
Thanks in advance, Vicky. x

AnimalsAreMyFriends Sat 22-Mar-14 20:22:25

Yes, you do. Even if you put a label saying 'not suitable for...' or 'not a toy..' Anything which is deemed to be attractive to children (and those lovely bright coloured soft birdies would be very appealing!) has to be CE tested.
If you google 'Conformance' They do some really good self certification packs and there is lots of info on their website. There are a couple of FB groups that are specifically for CE testing, which are quite good for support and info (also have a kitty - whereby we get specific materials lab tested for conformity, and then share the results)

AnimalsAreMyFriends Sat 22-Mar-14 20:25:09
AnimalsAreMyFriends Sat 22-Mar-14 20:36:15

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ce-self-certification-support-page/faq-does-this-need-a-ce-mark/244788188987155

It can be a bit of a grey area, your local trading standards should be able to advise you.

eddielizzard Sat 22-Mar-14 20:38:59

i have no idea, other than to say those look gorgeous! good luck! don't let this stop you. one step at a time. each time you do it it'll get easier.

littlevic Sat 22-Mar-14 21:40:19

Fab thanks for the advice! Will look into it... This was supposed to be a little side line to earn a few extra pennies so hoping it's not too much hard work as time ain't on my side with my main job too!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now