Thinking of opening a second hand baby shop...

(5 Posts)
YeahBuddy Sun 16-Mar-14 14:06:58

I have had this idea in the back of my head for a while now to open a second hand baby shop in the town close to where I live. Currently the choice for baby clothes/equipment in the town is limited to Asda, a cheapy shop that used to be B-Wise but I can't remember what it is called now and charity shops. There is also a Waitrose with a limited selection of baby/toddler stuff but is out of town. The next biggest town over has about the same amount of choice, meaning that to have any real choice of clothes etc, people have to travel or shop online.

I have done a few of the local nearly new kids sales that happen in the local sports centre about once a month and have always found that I have sold my DTs old stuff well and now an indoor market type place has opened up in the centre of the town. They rent out spaces for a fixed amount per day/per week and according to the Facebook page it is doing very well (it has only been open a couple of weeks) so I was maybe thinking about getting some stock together and starting off down there. That way if it doesn't work then I haven't signed up to lease a shop or anything like that.

I don't see the point in selling on second hand clothes etc that came from supermarkets/Primark type places because you can already but these cheaply enough. What I would want to sell is higher quality items from shops that people have to travel to from around here. I already buy designer bits for my DTs from eBay and have had some amazing bargains so I was thinking things like that, one-off pieces as well but not sell them out for a massive amount.

If you have made it this far then thank you! I'm just trying to get my thoughts together but could really use some objective input but does it sound like something that would work? I don't see why it shouldn't but maybe I'm missing something glaringly obvious?

spongebobsmallpants Sun 16-Mar-14 15:15:22

I have a shop similar in my local town which is brilliant, we've had a stroller from there and DPs mum is always in there buying stuff for the grand kids.
The lady who owns it does a huge range of Next and Gap at half the price as well as proper designer stuff.
Im not sure how it does but its been there years.
I do know she buys to sell and travel systems are literally brought and sold the same day.

Good luck with your new venture

jaffacakesallround Mon 07-Apr-14 13:23:30

Interesting- maybe you'd do better if it was a second hand baby wear / equipment shop. Not sure how much demand there is for 2nd hand babiessmile

You might employ a good copywriter to advertise once you start (me?)

Panadbois Tue 08-Apr-14 14:51:44

Do you want to buy mine? :-D

Panadbois Tue 08-Apr-14 14:52:44

My preloved baby and kids clothes shop that is. (obviously blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now