Parenting Helpline

(7 Posts)
Mrshilton81 Tue 04-Mar-14 09:40:35

Hi

I'm a Midwife, Health Visitor, Lactation Consultant and Mum. I adore working with families and children, but really felt even with my knowledge and skills that there wasn't enough support when I had my little boy.

I am considering along with another midwife setting up a national parenting helpline. The cost of the service would be £50 per year. Mums, dads, families would get ongoing telephone, email and text support from qualified professionals thought the year with written guidance and information on such topics as dealing with colic, sleep management, behaviour management, weaning etc.

The service would be completely tailored to each families needs. So what I want to know is as mums is this something you would be interested in? Would you pay to have that extra support at the end of the phone?

shakinstevenslovechild Tue 04-Mar-14 09:46:32

In all honesty I wouldn't pay for that, and I don't think anyone I know would.

If I had a parenting problem I would come on MN or ask a friend or research it elsewhere on the internet, anything I needed a professional opinion I would rather see them face to face.

There is so much information out there for free I can't imagine a lot of people paying for it, sorry.

Anonymai Tue 04-Mar-14 16:06:46

I wouldn't pay either. Mumsnet is where I go for advice. You get a variety of responses very quickly.

Hoppinggreen Tue 04-Mar-14 17:07:51

Sorry no I wouldn't pay for that, plenty of free advice available.

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Mar-14 17:12:11

Mumsnet does that for me. And my lovely HV. NCT and NSPCC, and I am sure other organisations, have helplines on various parenting issues. And £50 is a lot of cash to many folk with babies and small children!

SoonToBeSix Tue 04-Mar-14 17:20:23

No, like others have said there are plenty of free places to go for advise.

Hattie11 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:32:17

Sorry but no I wouldn't.

I had friends family support. And help from midwives and LA leche league.

Have you considered fundraising and offer a free service as a charity? Although the competition maybe tough to beat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now