Anyone bought a franking machine for postage

(6 Posts)
Mumfun Sat 22-Feb-14 09:06:39

Great info thanks. Good idea to maybe team up with another business to use a PPI account. Will look into it smile

PlinkyPlonker Fri 21-Feb-14 21:40:40

I've just got a PPi account with Royal Mail - you don't have to prove you post 1000 items a year, you just have to pass their credit check. Is only 20 large letters or small parcels a week. Could you team up with another home business and split it between you? It seems cheaper than franking as there are the machine and stationary supply costs too. If you can go for PPi Royal Mail give you all the supplies for free.

We got a freeish trial from Pitney bowes recently and do about 200 items a month.... its being returned. Too faffy and we arent really saving any money.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 11-Feb-14 19:07:51

When I looked at it you needed to send 200 items per month to make it worthwhile. You have to watch for hidden costs like £50 odd pounds to up date software when Royal Mail changes postage rates.
Our franking machine does save is money and it is useful to be able to weigh and put correct postage ion parcels.
Ours is through Pitney Bowes. The other tip is you don't need to buy the stationary from the machine providers others are cheaper.

MelArt Tue 11-Feb-14 10:39:44

Franking machines do cut costs if you are sending mail regularly - look here www.themailingroom.com/stamp_user.php it explains savings.

Mumfun Mon 10-Feb-14 11:21:08

Ive run a tiny kitchen table business for 5 years on my own website. I send out products in the post. I have just used Royal Mail and walked into Post Office to post. I dont send out 1000 items a year which Royal Mail sem to think you need to use one of theur business packages- about 800. So I would like to get smarter at postage. Would a franking machine cut my costs and be worth it? ANy advice or experience great thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now