advice on becoming an employer?

(6 Posts)
Hattie11 Fri 07-Feb-14 17:03:35

I'm in the process of setting up my own cleaning business. Plan to initially employ one member of staff with a view to that increasing overtime. I eventually plan to have an accountant organise the payroll. But initially I don't think its an expenditure the business can afford.
Is it possible for someone with no experience to manage PAYE and advising tax office etc. Can u recommend software? Or point me to any useful websites. Thank you.

TalkinPeace Fri 07-Feb-14 21:41:07

get an accountant now
they will save you far more than they charge

Hattie11 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:14:25

really? that sounds far easier! I was going to get quotes and advice from one initially, but wondered if i could manage the payroll when theres only one or two people on it to save regular accountant fees.

senua Fri 07-Feb-14 23:34:41

Speak to an Accountant for initial advice, to make sure that you set everything up properly. They are bound to offer a bureau service where they will process the wages for you for a few pounds per person per month/week (if not, go with someone else who does!)

Hattie11 Fri 07-Feb-14 23:39:31

ok off to find an accountant then!

thank you

SunGate Fri 07-Feb-14 23:41:52

Register as as an employer with HMRC and they will provide you with the software you need.

If the person you employ is not eligible for tax and NI (under threshold and no other form of employment/income since beginning of last tax year) then you don't even need to do that. You just pay them what you owe them and produce a simple payslip.

If you prefer someone else to do it for you then I'd recommend using a payroll company as far cheaper than using accountant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now