New company name - quirky or descriptive

(6 Posts)
SimLondon Fri 15-Nov-13 14:39:57

I was wondering what's best when starting a new business with the aim of selling to other businesses, probably locally. A quirky memorable name or something that has to do with the product/services and location?

thanks for any opinions.

Rhododendron Sat 16-Nov-13 10:05:21

This isn't answering your question (sorry), but here's a suggestion: Aim for a name where if someone googles it, they'll find you. I'm surprised how many people don't do this.

HoratiaDrelincourt Sat 16-Nov-13 12:40:54

yy to being the top search result, not least because you'll avoid any treading on toes or accusations of passing off or trade mark infringement.

I think good business names are descriptive and unique.

so Horatia's Cakes and Bakes is better than Horatia's Creations or just Cakes and Bakes

Curioustiger Sat 16-Nov-13 14:30:16

If your name is purely descriptive ie 'delicious cakes' you will never be able to trademark it. I agree with Horatia, a bit of both is ideal.

StellaTips Tue 26-Nov-13 15:30:56

My advise is to pick a name that is meaningful to you and conveys the message of your business (i.e. clear enough what it is about hiding a bit of a story behind).
Be creative and better don't just use descriptive names - they are dull and not memorable. It might be a good idea to combine words that sound fun (like "cakepreneur", etc.)

Here's some inspiration for you on quirky and descriptive names combined to win business. Good luck! ;-)

www.inniaccounts.co.uk/2013/08/how-to-come-up-with-a-quirky-name-for-your-new-business/

www.inniaccounts.co.uk/2013/08/distinctive-practical-unique-or-quirky-what-do-your-new-companys-name-say-to-your-future-clients/

Hogwash Mon 09-Dec-13 02:04:22

This doesn't answer your question, but the other thing I would recommend is to tape yourself saying the various names either as though answering a phone or introducing yourself. I rejected some names on that basis as they were too difficult to say or didn't sound solid enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now